New rig - no concept
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I've just bought a pair of AKG K701, wanting to build a setup for them. I've unfortunately been made to change my decision and now I want to go with good-looking DAC/amp combo and a pair of closed-back headphones. I listen to jpop and rock mostly and K701s don't really go well with this kind of music. I'm not a basshead, but I'm looking for rather fun-oriented setup (with the signature similiar to UE Triple.fi I had). I did think about an Apogee Duet and Denon AH-D2000 headphones. Will it be fine? Perhaps there is a better (and still good-looking) DAC than a Duet? Any other headphones than D2k worth a recommendation?

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 28
I'm in a similar situation
wink.gif

Any recommendations would be nice.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 28
The Apogee Duet and Denon D2k seems like a nice start. IMO The Denons are rather bass-heavy (you're going to feel the sub-bass notes). FWIR The Shure 840s are rather balanced and they're definitely cheaper than the Denons

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 28
D2k is usually described as being pretty "boom-hiss". As Xan7hos said, the SRH840 is the FOTM right now and is worth looking into for closed-back.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 28
Well, I also own a pair of rebranded AH-D1000 (named as Creative Aurvana Live) and well, that's the thing I'm looking for, just the upgrade. I own a DAC too - the Beresford TC-7520, but I don't really like it. I thought about Shure too, but I don't like its' construction. I actually did think about Ultrasone Pro900 too, but I'm not sure if Duet will be able to drive them properly.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 28
I have only briefly heard the D2000, but I prefer the Beyer DT250 to the Markl modded D5000 which I had for a few weeks. The Beyers are more balanced, with a very smooth sound (slight HF roll-off), beautiful mids, and are great for all kinds of music. Excellent all rounders. Being closed phones, there is a very slight 'bassiness' about them, but it's only slight (nothing like the massive bassiness of the D5000).

Similar to the TF10, but better highs and mids. The Bass of the TF10 is a bit tighter than the Beyers. Same kind of depth though.

In my long search, the DT250 are the only pair of phones I've considered keepers so far. Worth considering within it's price range.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 28
For someone who's not a basshead, you're really looking at some bassy 'phones. Personally, I really don't like the Ultrasone sound - to my ears, it's not well balanced and it can get really grainy. The D2000 is probably a decent bet, but again, likely to be very bassy. If you like the D1000, you may like it, though - I've never heard the D1000.

The Shure is a good one - not sure what you don't like about the construction, I suppose it's not the most aesthetically pleasing pair of headphones but it's built like a tank.

A good choice for pop that's available in the FS section right now at a decent price is the Audio Technica W1000, although it may be too bass-light for you. They have a very airy, light and sparkly mid-range and treble which can be very nice to listen to.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 28
Well, the DT250 sounds nice, but again (which might sound ridiculous for you) I want a headphone rig to be a part of whole room and DT250 doesn't really seem to suit this 'requirement'. Oh, about Shure - I don't like the cable which goes from one part to another, it looks like it'd broke really easily (won't it?). The W1000 is awesome pair of phones, but I heard they are pretty hard to drive and I don't want to have a seperate amp.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 28
I dont think the W1000 is hard to drive - sounded great out of a portable amp for me. I also dont think the Shure wire will break easily - they really are very well built and I havent snagged those wires yet.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

I dont think the W1000 is hard to drive - sounded great out of a portable amp for me.

Really? That's good news.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I also dont think the Shure wire will break easily - they really are very well built and I havent snagged those wires yet.

Okay, if possible, I'll listen to them next week. Tell me, are they comfortable compared to, let's say, K701?

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 28
Yeah, I own both the SRH840 and the K701 and in general I find the Shure more comfortable, mostly because of the infamous bump on the bottom of the AKG headband. The only potentially uncomfortable thing about them is that they're closed 'phones with pleather earcups, which means they can get hot. But otherwise they're very comfortable and nicely padded all around.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 28
Also, I'd take a look at a Head-Direct EF-2. The trade off with the Duet (I think - not speaking from experience here) will be a less capable DAC section for a amp that will match better with the SRH840 or W1000 since they are both low-impedance headphones that seem to like tubes - and it will save you a bundle of cash.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 28
As I've got little, three-years-old brother, I want to avoid tubes as for now. I did think about the Compass too, but I'm not sure it'd be better than my Beresford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back