New Rig - Best of the best
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sashua

Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a portable rig since I do a lot of travel. I want truly high end sound quality but also need a functional laptop or touchpad.

Can I get a recommendation for rigs that might just tick all the boxes? I want to run JRiver on it and get true audiophile sound quality out of it. Have searched the forums long and hard but most postings seem to be in the "Sub $500 or lowest possible price" category.

I am not cost limited at all for this purchase.

I was thinking of a Microsoft Surface and a Chord Hugo 2 but I don't know if the USB interface is a viable option and I could just plain use some ideas to set me on the right path here....

Consider the dream rig you might assemble for yourself if cost were not a factor....

I own Senny HD650's and Audeze LCD-X's

Thanks,
Russ

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah,
I listened to it at AxPona but it didn't impress me nearly as much as the ALO Continental Dual Mono. I think either one would be a winner though and since the Hugo 2 is just a DAC I would still need a decent amp, right?
Kinda new to this stuff...always used a DAP before.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Consider the dream rig you might assemble for yourself if cost were not a factor....

Rigs. One with a an X5 MkIII and a CIEM to hold me over until I get to the dream rig at home, which would be something like this (treated dedicated room included).
ina1_26.jpg

I am looking to buy a portable rig since I do a lot of travel. I want truly high end sound quality but also need a functional laptop or touchpad.

Can I get a recommendation for rigs that might just tick all the boxes? I want to run JRiver on it and get true audiophile sound quality out of it. Have searched the forums long and hard but most postings seem to be in the "Sub $500 or lowest possible price" category.

I am not cost limited at all for this purchase.

I was thinking of a Microsoft Surface and a Chord Hugo 2 but I don't know if the USB interface is a viable option and I could just plain use some ideas to set me on the right path here....

I own Senny HD650's and Audeze LCD-X's

If I wasn't building my "dream rig if cost wasn't a factor," ie, I have to take into account all those other limitations, but portability as something important, then make do with USB. Ibasso already dropped the balanced DAC, so no DB3, and even the D14 doesn't have optical input. Buy a Jotunheim with the USB DAC. Or buy two Jotunheims, one in 120v and the other in 240v, bring whichever one will work with wherever you're going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back