New Release & Colorado Tour | X1s GT DAC with headphone amplifier, the 8th gen and the milestone of the classic aune X1 series
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #61 of 98
After futher tests I'm going to specify the problem that I see in this device and "what" and "when" it happens.
My intention is to keep aware people about this issue, either ask for help to anyone who has this device who kindly want to check out if is experiencing the same.Just to make clear whether or not this is a singular malfunction of my unit or a general issue.
So what:
At first glance I thought it was a delay caused by the USB driver,not sure anymore, since I've been able to optimize Panel Control Options on W10 and the problem persists; also on Linux. Maybe the USB chip it self.But let's not lose step...
But it is not really a time delay.Using the USB input there is a volume raise each time I skip or play a track from the start.I mean I don't get the selected volume instantly, it raises as if turning up the volume knob manually, in a fraction of a second, less than half a second, but it's clearly noticeble;just play a song with sound at the very beginning.
I've done tests with two songs, mainly:
One is Fever of Elvis Presley, in this song there's a double bass chord at start that it's missing.
Second is Bizarre Love Triangle of Marianna Leporace from the album Best Audiophile Voices V, this song starts with a strong guitar chord, missing as well.
Keep in mind that this only happens with USB input, so you need to compare the same song played trough USB vs. coaxial input to hear the diferences.
And when:
Each and everytime I play or skip tracks on the USB input.That's unbearable.I want to hear the whole thing.
Other inputs work flawlessly; well not entirely, if you're using the USB input and you change to Coaxial you will notice the same volume raise at the beginning of the song, but only the very first track in a session, then after you can skip tracks with no issues.I could live with that.
This happens using the device as a DAC/Amp or as a stand alone DAC.

I'll wait for people's reports to figure out what's the problem.
Thank you all and happy New Year:santa:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #63 of 98
I have not had this issue with the X1s GT, quite the weirdest thing to hear of!

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #67 of 98
Have you played same songs I did and checked USB vs. coax?
OK , this one?

https://open.qobuz.com/track/21452011

And this one

https://open.qobuz.com/track/79251630

Well you are absolutely right!!!!

F... me but yes there is the first chords missing, either when you play the song as a single or let it roll through the playlist.

You have to press play for the second time to hear the song without the cut millisecond.

This is a bug and thank you @Solurano for discovering.

It is also happening with a lot of other tracks.

You press play and the song starts with a missing millisecond...

You must press play again in order to hear the track without the cut.

As an example is happening with this

https://open.qobuz.com/track/11070351

First chord is cut.

If you press it to play again then it plays alright.

If you play another track and then select again the previous one then it starts with the cut.

Basically it happens with almost all the tracks...

@AuneAudio any comments on this bug?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #68 of 98
After futher tests I'm going to specify the problem that I see in this device and "what" and "when" it happens.
My intention is to keep aware people about this issue, either ask for help to anyone who has this device who kindly want to check out if is experiencing the same.Just to make clear whether or not this is a singular malfunction of my unit or a general issue.
So what:
At first glance I thought it was a delay caused by the USB driver,not sure anymore, since I've been able to optimize Panel Control Options on W10 and the problem persists; also on Linux. Maybe the USB chip it self.But let's not lose step...
But it is not really a time delay.Using the USB input there is a volume raise each time I skip or play a track from the start.I mean I don't get the selected volume instantly, it raises as if turning up the volume knob manually, in a fraction of a second, less than half a second, but it's clearly noticeble;just play a song with sound at the very beginning.
I've done tests with two songs, mainly:
One is Fever of Elvis Presley, in this song there's a double bass chord at start that it's missing.
Second is Bizarre Love Triangle of Marianna Leporace from the album Best Audiophile Voices V, this song starts with a strong guitar chord, missing as well.
Keep in mind that this only happens with USB input, so you need to compare the same song played trough USB vs. coaxial input to hear the diferences.
And when:
Each and everytime I play or skip tracks on the USB input.That's unbearable.I want to hear the whole thing.
Other inputs work flawlessly; well not entirely, if you're using the USB input and you change to Coaxial you will notice the same volume raise at the beginning of the song, but only the very first track in a session, then after you can skip tracks with no issues.I could live with that.
This happens using the device as a DAC/Amp or as a stand alone DAC.

I'll wait for people's reports to figure out what's the problem.
Thank you all and happy New Year:santa:
Hi, the phenomenon you stated seems to be the result of filter mode 3 and 4, which need more time for the PLL to lock (They have higher requirement for clock). After the lock, the volume will come to normal. If that is a problem to you, please try setting filter mode to 1 or 2, and see if that works:)

By the way, thanks for liking the sound and the look of the X1s GT!

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #69 of 98
Hi, and thanks for your attention.
OK, then there is something related to mode filter 3 and 4 not working properly using USB input.
As you requested I've tried setting filter mode 1 and 2, and you're rigth, now I get the selected volume level from the start of the track without the "ramp up", so nothing is missing.
So am I doomed to use mode filter 1 or 2 only, when using USB input?:rolling_eyes:
Another question, about mode filter 3 and 4, what's the special relationship between those filters and USB input?I mean, when using coaxial input there's no problem.
Well, a small one, the first time you play a track with coax, let's say you're switching input from USB to coax, you have a ramp up volume as well, but only once in a session; so somehow I understand, as you say, there's a special time requirement for the mode filter 3and 4 to lock, and I could live with it if only happens when switching from other input or filter mode once in a session, I mean with coax input you have the problem only the very first time you play a track in a session, thenafter you can skip or play any track randomly, flawlessly and without any issues.And again, problem is with USB input, as then you have to go through with the problem each and every track...as a sort of "warm up", and yes that's a problem for me; furthermore I can't imagine listen to a symphonic classical piece, as many as there are, with plenty of instruments playing at the very start and not listen to them.You just lose momentum...
I'm not an expert, but as far as I konow, inputs shouldn't have nothing to do with mode filter selected.If there's a way to make it work with coaxial or optical input, there's a way to make it work with USB or whatever input a device could have.
So sorry, but for me that's a fault.
No complaints about how it sounds,completely satisfied in that respect.

Regards.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #71 of 98
I own the S8 reference DAC and this feature seems to be inherent to the PLL module which takes a few seconds to lock, this is certainly a good thing for more precise synchronization, however it takes a few more seconds depending on the accuracy of the Clock.

Even with my S8 I get the same thing, but only if the sampling rate changes, if for example I play a playlist with songs of different sampling rate, with each variation, the S8 takes about 4/5 seconds to lock into the new sampling rate, causing the first few seconds of the track to be lost. However, if the sampling rate remains the same for all the tracks in the playlist (example 44.1khz), the Clock remains locked at this frequency and the first seconds of the songs are not lost.

Does the problem occur with the Xs1 GT even if the sampling frequency remains unchanged from one song to another?

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #73 of 98
I own the S8 reference DAC and this feature seems to be inherent to the PLL module which takes a few seconds to lock, this is certainly a good thing for more precise synchronization, however it takes a few more seconds depending on the accuracy of the Clock.

Even with my S8 I get the same thing, but only if the sampling rate changes, if for example I play a playlist with songs of different sampling rate, with each variation, the S8 takes about 4/5 seconds to lock into the new sampling rate, causing the first few seconds of the track to be lost. However, if the sampling rate remains the same for all the tracks in the playlist (example 44.1khz), the Clock remains locked at this frequency and the first seconds of the songs are not lost.

Does the problem occur with the Xs1 GT even if the sampling frequency remains unchanged from one song to another?
Yes.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #75 of 98
What is the Aune X5s "Digital Player"? Is it an internet ratio tuner (I HATE the term, "streamer"). I very much like the looks of the X1s GT 8th Gen. and hope to own one in the near future but the idea of compatibility is a sound one which is why I inquire as to just what is this X5s "Digital Player". Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back