New Reference Monitor Speakers
Aug 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 25
Yeah, I think that is the issue. I have them connected to the computer, and grounding sucks on it. I don't know if the data-in port had any effect on it, but the battery charging port is pick up the noise from the computer(since it's a desktop, usually they have poor grounds).

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 25
Yeah, I think that is the issue. I have them connected to the computer, and grounding sucks on it. I don't know if the data-in port had any effect on it, but the battery charging port is pick up the noise from the computer(since it's a desktop, usually they have poor grounds).

My preferred method to electrically isolate the DAC was to connect with an optical TOSLINK cable (Monoprice 1419) via a $30 Behringer UCA202 audio interface. (The latter is not necessary if you have a source that can output TOSLINK.)

If you know that the issue is a ground loop and you want to stick with USB, you can get a ground loop isolator. But without a wall charger, you still risk charging noise.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 25
Well, my issue arose from trying to charge the Mojo though a desktop USB port, and picked up noise(assembled computers like desktops can have poor grounding). I do use the optical connection on the Mojo.

Anyway, charging the Mojo though the wall adapter rids of the usb noise problem.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 25
Silverears, Not sure how yours are set-up, but many people who own desktop speakers don't & shouldn't rest them on the bare desktop. I have the 305's and get much better results when I set them on IsoAcoustics stands. Get the medium ones on Amazon and they should tighten/refine the bass.

IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 Medium Acoustic Isolation Stands (pair)

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #22 of 25
Silverears, Not sure how yours are set-up, but many people who own desktop speakers don't & shouldn't rest them on the bare desktop. I have the 305's and get much better results when I set them on IsoAcoustics stands. Get the medium ones on Amazon and they should tighten/refine the bass.

IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 Medium Acoustic Isolation Stands (pair)
I have a pair of stands in the mail for that reason :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #25 of 25
Explain or links to talks about that. Also, what is the optimal setup(like volume levels on speakers, etc..)?

I sent you a PM. I touched upon how to position speakers in prior posts in this thread, but there's an overwhelming amount of info that has been published on the topic. I don't want to link to just a few guides, because there are so many out there that cover it all. Instead, I'll share this search link.

I just kept the volume knobs on the speakers at 100% and controlled the volume with the Schiit SYS passive preamp for most DACs. (An exception is the Mojo, since it has digital volume control.) In a few cases, when connecting to, for example, the JDS Labs OL DAC (as well as the headphone outputs of my laptop), I did experiment with the input sensitivity switch of the LSR305s and also reduced the volume knobs, since it got too loud too quickly otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back