new *Radiohead* !
Apr 2, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #31 of 44
I HOPE they have a special edition set with a fancy booklet and maybe a dvd?
smily_headphones1.gif

edited for spelling

Apr 2, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
I want "the bends" volume 2!

Don't hold your breath.

Apr 2, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Yeah, I heard about this through waste too. Back to that "they're going back to guitar based rock" Didn't they say that before amnesiac? My point is, who cares? I think it is best not to compare to earlier releases. They earn a special niche in our hearts/minds that is dependent on their time of release. Do you really want the music to sound the same as it was in 1995? Even if you did, it would be different, because it was a different era. You were doing different things that intertwined with the music and gave it meaning. For me, music is the most rooted artform -- certain songs remind me of very specific periods, events and places. Anyway, where was I? Oh, it will be different, so get over it. Make the best of it.

very well stated. i agree fully.

Apr 3, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #36 of 44
Which songs don't you like? All of them? Why is it such a mess?

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #38 of 44
the whole cd just felt so... unoriginal. i felt like every upcoming note was totally predictable. i didn't feel any emotion from it. httt just felt contrived. I say it's a mess because it sounded... uninspired and amateurish. not sure how to place my finger on it... i guess i'm saying that besides sail to the moon, the melodies were fairly simplistic and there wasn't anything that really hit home. it's certainly easy to digest but wholly unfulfilling.

oh well, i haven't lost hope for radiohead yet. i'm sure their next work will get them back on track.

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 44
The only sentiment that I MIGHT have shared with you Jon, is that at first it totally sounds like a mess...But what you're not stating is that these tracks according to the main source...the Producer Nigel Godrich, has said that none of them have gone through the final mastering and that even some of the songs aren't even the full songs yet !

So sure...no EQ ing, no level mixing, incomplete vocal tracks, instrumentation and effects can sure make for a mess but the word on the official board is that these were early "test recordings" which were stolen. Dont be so quick to judge. I wasn't too happy at first either, but here's the other thing. If you didn't like the songs from what you heard of the live summer recordings, then you probably shouldn't bother with trying to like the studio stuff anyway.

I couldn't possible disagree with you more about how good this album is already, and how much more amazing it will be when it's done. If you've followed their history at all, you'd also know the hardships that Thom has been through with his psychosis and neuroticism...not an easy thing to go through while still managing to create some of the most incredibly beautiful music for us to appreciate and love. My opinion about the music though, has nothing to do with this...I just happen to think that it's an added element that should be addressed.

And as far as being unoriginal....I think you're way off on that one. Perhaps if you mean that some of the stuff is predictable for what you'd expect from them, I'd agree, because I'm so used to them being so consistant. Yet at the same time, they always manage to supprise me with stuff that blows me away. You tell me of a band in their category that can come out with stuff that doesn't always sound the same and can manage to be creative and experimental while remaining totally and utterly composed externally (and is nutty as a fruitcake inside) ?

But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions right ? After all..... "I might be wrong" .

S.S.

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #40 of 44
by mess i was referring to the composition. i guess we're coming at this album from different angles which is to expected and respected.

my original message was one of disappointment, not any sort of insult.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #41 of 44
you know, after reading the last couple of posts, I thought of something, after about a year after the release of the album, there will be people on ebay selling these tracks you guys downloaded and selling them at huge prices calling them the early demo versions and people will be tripping all over themselves to get them..... just a thought........

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
you know, after reading the last couple of posts, I thought of something, after about a year after the release of the album, there will be people on ebay selling these tracks you guys downloaded and selling them at huge prices calling them the early demo versions and people will be tripping all over themselves to get them..... just a thought........

I highly doubt that these mixes sound different enough to warrant petty thievery such as that. It will be tried, but will not succeed.

These versions do sound slightly incomplete, albeit only a few of them, but they maintain their professionalism throughout. Personally, I think it will a superb album if this batch of music indicates anything.

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 44
anytime someone claims to have a "demo" or "unfinished" work (ie beatles as an example) people (collectors and such) will trample each other with their checkbooks to get at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back