New Purchase (Possible PFE 112 Upgrade)
Jan 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

steter

New Head-Fier
Let me start by saying I am a first time poster, but long time reader.  This is a phenomenal forum that has taught me more than I really need to know about music and portable headphones.  I am no audiophile, but I do alot of traveling for my job which translates into alot of flying hours with my earphones on.  I have just started to make my way into "better" equipment and I must admit it is addicting.  I currently own the Shure SE215, Audeo PFE 112, Klipsch X10, UE Triple-fi 10, Sennheiser CX300-II, Future Sonics Atrio M8 and have recently purchased the Hifiman Re-262 (have had for about 2 weeks).  I had the Westone 2 for a brief time, but they were lost during a trip.  Also have a Fiio E6 amp.

I absolutely love the clarity and detail of the RE-262, however I find the mids to forward for my taste and to me they sound alittle hollow compared to the other iem's I currently have (once again I am no audiophile).  I really wanted to love these, but I think that in the end I will be sending them back.

With that, I am in the market for some new iem's and I would really appreciate your input.  I listen to all kinds of music - country, classical, hip-hop, rock, trance, etc.  Here are my thoughts of the equipment I do have:

Shure SE215 - These were my first purchase.  Great little phones, but now I rarely use them as I have other equipment I like alot more.

PFE-112 - I really like these phones.  They seem to have the sound signature I prefer the most.  Very natural, balanced and have good detail.  Work for all kinds of music. I listen to these the most.  Really shine when I add the amp.  I Just wish they had alittle more detail and separation like the RE-262 has.

Klipsch X10 - First let me commend the engineers who managed to get that much sound out of such a small package.  Fun to listen to and incredibly comfortable.  Also, really shine with the amp.  That being said, for some reason I do not find myself listening to these as much as the PFE-112 or the Triple-fi.

UE Triple-fi - Amazing sound and presence.  Really fun iem.  I love the musicality of these and the overall soundstage.  No doubt the funniest iem I have.  I do sometimes find the mids lacking.  Mostly use these for upbeat songs and hip-hop.

Future Sonics Ario - Once I purchased the Triple-fi, I have rarely used these.  The base and can be overwhelming.

Westone 2 - I remember really liking these, but I only had them for about 4 weeks and that was a year ago.  Since then, I purchased the Triple-fi and Klipsch, so I struggle with purchasing these again.

So to wrap up, I really like the clarity and detail of the RE-262, but the mids were to pronounced.  I like the balance of the PFE the most out of all my iem's.  So I think that ideally I am looking for an upgrade to the PFE-112's that would have more detail, separation, and clarity.  I believe that you guys refer to these as neutral, balanced, maybe analytical iem's.

Budget is $350.

Currently researching:

CK10 (where can I buy these?)
DBA-02
Grado GR8
RE-Zero
RE-272
Westone 2 (re-purchase)
Shure 425

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back