New PS Audio DAC update
Jun 24, 2005 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OracleGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I've mentioned in a few threads here and there that PS Audio is working on a new DAC, with USB input. It's been delayed for a while, but I just saw this update on the PS Audio member discussion board. Hopefully Paul won't mind me posting it here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McGowan (PS Audio)
We just finished a new version of it. It's in the lab right now, Ken's scrambling to find the special EPROM programmer and isn't having much luck, Jon and I are chomping at the bit to fire it up.

What we did was built a DAC with the best op amps we could find on the output of the DAC. It sounded really good, but not great - and we tried every popular Analog Devices and Burr Brown op amps on the market.

So Jon and I designed a complete class A discreet output stage. Based on a single transistor I/V converter feeding a JFET diff pair and complimentary gain stage, the results, at least on the AP were great!

Sounds like it should be something special. If it's as good as their soon-to-be-released headphone amp (going by Jude's evaluation), then it might be quite good indeed.

They were targeting < $1,000 for this puppy, but with all this custom work, I wonder if it might be more.

I'm still holding off on that DAC-1 until I see what PS Audio come up with. Oh yes, it's called the Digital Link III.

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Many Head-fiers have succumbed to asphyxiation waiting for the PS Audio Headphone amp to be released.

Well, the latest word on the the PS Audio Headphone amp is that it's supposed to be released in July ...

So I guess if you haven't passed out by now, then you might not have much longer to go!
600smile.gif

The DAC is clearly a ways away yet though, since they're still making significant changes.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm too looking to try this DAC out to see how it compairs to the G08 which I have (used as the transport). But the headphone amp is a shirr buy and I would like to see them start making replacement headphone cables for senn and others with there new cable technology if it is as they say it is. I'm currently burning in some of there Transcendent int. and so far so good! A ways to go yet 24hrs in burn in as of now.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 6
We were promised a prototype of the amp from PS Audio for the NYC Meet, and after several e-mails and promises, they disappeared. Very unprofessional of them.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Some more news from Paul McGowan.

He and Arnie Nudell did a little listen at Arnie's house with the revised version of the PS Audio DAC, and they claim that it is better than any standalone DAC they have heard, including Arnie's Levinson.

Apparently though, the new Lector all-in-one CD player (not sure of the exact model) sounded slightly better.

The target price of the PS Audio DAC is now $1,000 to $1,500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back