New proud owner of SR80 :)
Sep 4, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
I've been meaning to post this for a couple days now..

After the head-fi meetup at la & oc audio society, I got to give some grados a listen, they sounded most excellent (SR60's). Anyway, met someone from the forum there and later after talking over PM, he forwarded me to a craigslist post for some SR80's for $75.. Anyway, emailed the guy and offered $60..

to make a long story short, I thought they were quite an excellent price, not to mention the guy said he bought them and used them for literally for only 2 days before he bought some sony headphones.. Honestly, I'd believe him if he said they were new. Him and his wife were selling a lot of things due to them moving out to the south pacific to some island that weekend, so maybe that had something to do with it.

They sound great with my Mini^3 and thus far I am really enjoying them! especially for the price!
smile_phones.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 11
The SR60s are my first "audiophile" cans, and they sound brilliant with my iRiver H332 and Corda XXS amp.

I'm considering buying a PPA2V2 from Gary since its supposed to work really well with the Grados...

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 11
I wonder if I should get some bowl pads for my SR60, essentially turning them into 80s. I have some HD414 pads at the moment, and they're much better than the stock "comfy" pads, but my ears get really hot after long listening.

Also, anybody care to chime in with PA2V2 + Grado impressions?

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Since I live in Asia, I actually paid double what you did for my sr80s.

And I've never regretted it one bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've auditioned the entire current Grado line-up, as well as the ms1 and ms-pro, and am quite happy with the choice I've made considering the Law of Diminishing Returns that kicks in with the higher end models.

Of course, when circumstances permit, I may go further up the line, but for now I don't see myself upgrading to another grado next. I think we have a great performer that gives us a good experience of the vaunted grado sound signature.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if I should get some bowl pads for my SR60, essentially turning them into 80s. I have some HD414 pads at the moment, and they're much better than the stock "comfy" pads, but my ears get really hot after long listening.

Also, anybody care to chime in with PA2V2 + Grado impressions?

I tried SR60s with SR80s bowl. SR60s were not turned into 80s ^^

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 11
I noticed very, very little difference between my SR-60s with bowls and my SR-80s. Granted the 80s were not broken in (at all - only a day old), but the bass response on them was almost identical, the 80 being a little weaker. The only difference was a tiny addition (almost indistinguishable) in the very high end - > 12KHz - that made the sound a bit more grainy and noisy.

There really isn't much in it IMO.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 11
Now try getting electrical tape and put the type around the bowls. Brings out some more bass
L3000.gif

well i have the SR 125 but I don't think there is that much of a differnce. I went to sr 60's to 125's since i found a seller that was selling for about the same price as someone elses 80s.
I also use PA2V2 and it's pritty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back