New project from AMB Labs announced: Gamma 1.5
Oct 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

3l3tric

100+ Head-Fier
Find more info in the AMB announcement thread here.
Basics:
-Will use the Zeta1 USB-I2S interface, rather than the old Burr-Brown chip used for USB in the y1/y2 DACs
-Will use the Wolfson WM8740 in hardware mode
-Includes analog output stage based on y2's stage and a dedicated headphone amplifier based on the Mini^3
-Powered exclusively by USB
-Intended to fit in the same enclosure as the y1 standalone sandwich configuration
-Non-upsampling, with 2 onboard crystals to handle all sample rates
-Hybrid of SMD and Thru-Hole parts

Pics below.

The most impressive part to me is that the whole thing runs off of 1 USB port's power. For a portable DAC/AMP, that's amazing.

NOTE: I am not Ti Kan/AMB. I'm only posting this thread to notify others of this new project that Ti announced on his forum.

Oct 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't have a set date, γ1.5 and ζ1 will be available when they are done and ready. However I don't expect this to be a long, drawn out project.

The current plan is to offer the ζ1 audio widget as a pre-assembled module, because it will be too challenging for many builders to hand-solder. The ζ1 is all-SMD, not only the LQFP144 main chip, most of the passives are 0603 size. They are teeny-tiny!

γ1.5 will be offered as bare boards that you solder.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Cool! Thanks for all your (& MisterX's) hard work! I can't believe 3l3tric & I are the only ones that are excited about this!
beerchug.gif

beyersmile.png

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 25
  Cool! Thanks for all your (& MisterX's) hard work! I can't believe 3l3tric & I are the only ones that are excited about this!
beerchug.gif

beyersmile.png

Are you insane?  I am umping up and down with joy excited.  Once this comes out it will most likely become my portable device and once the Gamma 3 comes out it will be my desktop DAC.   I have been following all of Ti's stuff over on his forums at AMB 
biggrin.gif
, so I haven't been saying anything.  Maybe while I wait for all of this I will try my hand at a Beta 24.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 25
I just read the whole thread on the AMB site yesterday. Looking forward to hearing about the results.

Pity that it uses an op amp for the headphone amp. I'd prefer to see a class-A amp with discrete components but I realize that would add expense and complexity to the project.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 25
Same answer as MisterX above.

Also, USB power budget does not allow a discrete class A hesdphone amp stage, not to mention heat dissipation concerns. Before you dismiss the opamp, you should have a listen to this DAC+Amp. It uses a high-current AD8397 for the headphone drive stage, which is the same as the one in the Mini³ headphone amp, and have surprised many how powerful it is.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 25
Btw, you can use the headphone out jack as a line output. It's a fairly "hot" line output (3Vrms @-6dBFS if you use the default gain), but that's with the volume control at maximum. You can turn it down to get reasonable output levels and avoid clipping.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 25
Same answer as MisterX above.

Also, USB power budget does not allow a discrete class A hesdphone amp stage, not to mention heat dissipation concerns. Before you dismiss the opamp, you should have a listen to this DAC+Amp. It uses a high-current AD8397 for the headphone drive stage, which is the same as the one in the Mini³ headphone amp, and have surprised many how powerful it is.

I completely understand which is why I wrote that it would "add expense and complexity to the project" :) Using the aluminium case as a heat sink would add complexity, and as well as having a higher component count, an external power supply would also be needed, all of which would be a more expensive and ambitious project. I was just dreaming aloud, forgive me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back