New power cord..??
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mikek200

Headphoneus Supremus
Was looking at the above power cord,and was wondering if anybody is familiar with it,or....,anything like it.?
Gets great reviews,made in USA,lifetime warranty,30 day return privilege.

http://signalcable.com/magicpower.html

Any info,opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 29
I an not familiar with that company, but here is some conjecture:

For that price it is probably standard AC power cable with fancy connectors on it.
It comes with a 30 day gaurantee, so if you don't mind risking the cost of shipping, you can try it, but probably won't sound much different than a stock cable.

A shielded AC cable might be worth trying out.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 29
Signal cables doesn't seem to use fairy dust or angel blood, sadly. So
you're probably looking at marginal differences.

If you want the NIGHT and DAY experience spend at least $500 cheapskate. 
tongue.gif

Let us know how you find them to fair.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 29
Chris,
Thanks for your response

I recently got the mjolnir/gungnir combo,so,what I did was e-mailed Jason ,at Schiit,for his advise-here was his reply:
"To us here are schiit,.....,it is 100% BS"

Still can't help to be a bit curious ,about this power cord thing,a lot of guys use them,& some are expensive?

Is this something you would use?,&  ..if you could ,send me a link for the shielded AC cable.

Yesterday,I got this used,from another head-fier--listened to it ,for about 6-8 hours,and did hear about a 2-5% increase in detail,from the high end,and some bass,especially on my classical music.
This interconnect comes from the same company ,that makes the power cord:

http://signalcable.com/silverresolutionxlr.html.

Any further comments will be appreciated.
Mike

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 29
"$500 cheapskate. 
font]
"

Thanks for your usual words of wisdom,but,yes,
You are not the only person that has told me to go to the higher end cables,to see more of an impact ,,higher impact would be nice,just not sure I wan to spend close to $1000.00 on a cable.

Straightwire is one...prices are ,or near $1000.00...1/2 the price of the Lcd-3's,which I'm also looking to buy.
Currently looking at Decware as well,a bit more forgiving on prices &..looks like good quality.

Its not a "cheapness"issue,just looking to get the best bang for the buck...David Mahler taught me that..
If I was cheap,I would not have spent over $3500.00 on exotic tubes,for  my Lyr,and now ,that I think about it,-you sold me some of those tubes.
Have a good weekend.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
"$500 cheapskate. 
font]
"

Thanks for your usual words of wisdom,but,yes,
You are not the only person that has told me to go to the higher end cables,to see more of an impact ,,higher impact would be nice,just not sure I wan to spend close to $1000.00 on a cable.

Straightwire is one...prices are ,or near $1000.00...1/2 the price of the Lcd-3's,which I'm also looking to buy.
Currently looking at Decware as well,a bit more forgiving on prices &..looks like good quality.

Its not a "cheapness"issue,just looking to get the best bang for the buck...David Mahler taught me that..
If I was cheap,I would not have spent over $3500.00 on exotic tubes,for  my Lyr,and now ,that I think about it,-you sold me some of those tubes.
Have a good weekend.

Trying to keep up the consistency. 
biggrin.gif

Nope, that was sarcasm. I've experienced little performance boosts from interconnects, whether or not they're placebo, no clue.

I've not experience gains from power chords. Whether or not there are any gains other than sufficient shielding, etc. (Which the need is negated
when running a fully balanced rig). I don't know, again, could be more placebo.

I wouldn't spend an exorbitant amount of money on cables. Unless you catch a good deal.

I was teasinnnn', I kiddd, I kiddd. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 29
"I was teasinnnn', I kiddd, I kiddd. "

I know ,you were,and I know you just got the Straightwire interconnect,which what got me started on all this--so---its all your fault!!
The thing thats got me puzzled is these damn power cords--I'm just going to have to order one & see what fairy dandruff falls on my ears.

You have to admit,Jason is  the expert,on these types of things,so I tend to listen to him closely.

I'll order a pair,& post back

Tnx
Mike

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
"I was teasinnnn', I kiddd, I kiddd. "

I know ,you were,and I know you just got the Straightwire interconnect,which what got me started on all this--so---its all your fault!!
The thing thats got me puzzled is these damn power cords--I'm just going to have to order one & see what fairy dandruff falls on my ears.

You have to admit,Jason is  the expert,on these types of things,so I tend to listen to him closely.

I'll order a pair,& post back

Tnx
Mike

I just really like Straightwire, don't get caught up in buying something expensive. You could just look on Amazon or elsewhere
for "medical grade" powerchords.

I'm ordering power cables from Dave, but that's just because I need a custom length made. Dave uses simple copper
could be ETP which is lower purity than OFC which doesn't mean jack all much. Point being his cables aren't "magic".
Just solid built cables.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
Chris,
Thanks for your response

I recently got the mjolnir/gungnir combo,so,what I did was e-mailed Jason ,at Schiit,for his advise-here was his reply:
"To us here are schiit,.....,it is 100% BS"

Still can't help to be a bit curious ,about this power cord thing,a lot of guys use them,& some are expensive?

Is this something you would use?,&  ..if you could ,send me a link for the shielded AC cable.

Yesterday,I got this used,from another head-fier--listened to it ,for about 6-8 hours,and did hear about a 2-5% increase in detail,from the high end,and some bass,especially on my classical music.
This interconnect comes from the same company ,that makes the power cord:

http://signalcable.com/silverresolutionxlr.html.

Any further comments will be appreciated.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Some of the pricier offerings from Signal Cable are shielded power cords: The Magic Power Digital reference.
Basically, I am not a big proponent of using fancy cables for the lower priced headphone stuff, you know, the $100-300 DACs and headphone amps (which is what I have). Personally, I have only noticed worthwhile differences when I use higher end equipment.
However, for $60-80 if you can clean up some power supply noise, well, why not?
You really have to try it yourself, I often find that power cord and power bar upgrades may remove a bit of grit and/or grain from your sound system. Hard to describe, unless you've heard it yourself!
If you don't hear anything, send the cable back. I'll say one other thing: sometimes you replace the original cable and don't hear anything. So you put the original cable back in and say, hmm, it actually does sound better with the other cable!
Chris

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Hi Mike,
Some of the pricier offerings from Signal Cable are shielded power cords: The Magic Power Digital reference.
Basically, I am not a big proponent of using fancy cables for the lower priced headphone stuff, you know, the $100-300 DACs and headphone amps (which is what I have). Personally, I have only noticed worthwhile differences when I use higher end equipment.
However, for $60-80 if you can clean up some power supply noise, well, why not?
You really have to try it yourself, I often find that power cord and power bar upgrades may remove a bit of grit and/or grain from your sound system. Hard to describe, unless you've heard it yourself!
If you don't hear anything, send the cable back. I'll say one other thing: sometimes you replace the original cable and don't hear anything. So you put the original cable back in and say, hmm, it actually does sound better with the other cable!
Chris

When you say..."Higher end equipment"" are you referring to the power cables,or,.all components?
Here is what I'm using-
Dell desktop 8gb ram computer,,mjolnir/gungnir,,emotiva mini,,he-6..,lcd2's...,foobar with all lossless files.
The setup also includes a large format printer,for my photography/printing needs.

This is a lot of wires.,and although I've done my best to keep things separated & not in contact with one another,,I still feel some cables might be touching each other-I am in a very condensed space
As,I am not aware of any electrical interference,noise,.I am assuming,it is there,..,however,,but not audible to my older cryoed ears..so up came the power cord idea?
After getting the reply from Jason at Schiit....I threw the idea out the window

I will take your suggestion,and get one of the Signal cables,or the power strip.
If you have any links to other manufactures of this kind of products,please,I'd appreciate a link,if you can.

Tnx Again,
Mike

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 29
When you say..."Higher end equipment"" are you referring to the power cables,or,.all components?
Here is what I'm using-
Dell desktop 8gb ram computer,,mjolnir/gungnir,,emotiva mini,,he-6..,lcd2's...,foobar with all lossless files.
The setup also includes a large format printer,for my photography/printing needs.

This is a lot of wires.,and although I've done my best to keep things separated & not in contact with one another,,I still feel some cables might be touching each other-I am in a very condensed space
As,I am not aware of any electrical interference,noise,.I am assuming,it is there,..,however,,but not audible to my older cryoed ears..so up came the power cord idea?
After getting the reply from Jason at Schiit....I threw the idea out the window

I will take your suggestion,and get one of the Signal cables,or the power strip.
If you have any links to other manufactures of this kind of products,please,I'd appreciate a link,if you can.

Tnx Again,
Mike

I meant high end amps, DACs, etc.
I've used $200 cables on my $200-300 amps and DACs, I didn't really get much of a change in sound from that equipment.
About 2-5% sounds about right. :xf_eek:
I guess I just find it hard to spend a lot of money for cabling with a $200-300 amp or DAC!
But if it's used, and the price is right.....hey, why not!
Hmmmmm, maybe I should track down some used low end, early model Nordost cables!

you seem to have done an excellent job of keeping your wiring sorted out, despite some of the stuff you read, in practice it can be very hard to keep your wiring separated!
The main thing is to get some space between Power Cables, digital cables and your signal cables ( i.e. interconnects, etc). You can always cross power cables and the other cables at right angles.

Chris

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 29
Hey people help me...How do I post a question on this website

There's a post a new thread button at the top of this thread.
Good luck, I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back