New portables (closed & comfi) for a metalhead/basshead
Jun 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crossbone

Head-Fier
Hello fellow headphonians.

I'm looking for a new portable headphone and hope you can help me narrow down my decision. I am mainly listening to Heavy Metal Music (Power Metal, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, ...)

First of all here's what i want:
-full size headphones (circumaural or on-ear)
-velour pads
-short cable (1-1,5m) out of the box!
-running well un-amped with my sgs3
-good isolation
-price: up to 300€
-Sound signature fitting my taste: bass-heavy, brigth trebles (not too bright, i like to listen on high volume levels, nice prat and "in-your-face" sound, soundstage is less important)

Headphones i own and what i think about them tested on my ASUS Xonar Essence One:
-Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80: most comfortable, can wear them like forever, nice bass, trebles can be harsh at high volume levels
-Denon AH-D2000: Great soundstage (sometimes even too big for intimate metal listening sessions), nice bass, nice trebles... my all time favorites (soundwise) but i can't wear them for long -> getting too warm, lack of isolation
-AKG K518: Great Bass very intimate soundstage, nice for metal. Too uncomfortable
-Sony MDR-XB500: Bass is nice, but highs suck without eqing. They get too warm, too.
-Koss KSC75: bass and isolation sucks, but to me they are very comfi

Just let me know your suggestions. Cheers!

cross

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Hey,

sorry, i wont be answering your question, but i wanted to add my own "inquiry" instead of making a new thread :)

so, im looking for very distinctive sounding headphones (simmilar to what the OP is looking for). I enjoy great bass (sub bass and the thump) and a lot of it, but i never like them muddy or overpowering any other freq's. They can be boomy, sure, its fun, but only to a certain extent, hope you guys know what i mean. clear sound with fun bass is my call :) since i like electronic music, hip hop etc, but im no stranger to classical and rock genres too.. soo all rounders :D

and other things are just as follows:
sensitivity !!!!! I need high sensitivity headphones, so they can be easily driven by my phone
comfortability, i wear glasses and ive never had anything else besides iem's, so im still planning to go to a local place and try some cans out
at least reasonable isolation
good build quality is always a plus
would be perfect if they had detachable cables ... :)

oh, and the price.. well, i guess i can shell out up to 150$ ? well, definitely looking for something on the cheap side.

thanks for the advice 

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Full sized closed headphones will ALL make your ears overheat. The better they isolate, the more they tend to make your ears overheat. Having velour earpads cuts down on ear overheating, but also decreases isolation. The best way to get good isolation without your ears overheating is to use an IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone). Some IEMs isolate much better than others.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 10
@ JK1:
Well those DT770 Pro for example i can wear for hours without getting hot ears. Maybe because of the velour which is the main reason why i'm looking for these. Unfortunately i cannot wear IEMs/Earbuds or stuff, because my ears start hurting with the use of those.

Small update btw:
Currently the Sennheiser Amperior has caught my interest. Seems to be like what i am looking for. Price is steep though.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 10
There are a number of headphones that don't come with velour earpads, but for which velour earpads are available. The first one that comes to mind is the Sony V6(7506).

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
There are a number of headphones that don't come with velour earpads, but for which velour earpads are available. The first one that comes to mind is the Sony V6(7506).

lol the legendary :D

i am thinking of those, but not sure if the 63ish ohm impedance is going to go well with my phone..

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
lol the legendary :D

i am thinking of those, but not sure if the 63ish ohm impedance is going to go well with my phone..

Find a store where you can try it with your phone. after the earpads wore out on my 20+ year old Sony V6, I bought velour earpads for it(Beyerdynamic DT250 earpads).

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Find a store where you can try it with your phone. after the earpads wore out on my 20+ year old Sony V6, I bought velour earpads for it(Beyerdynamic DT250 earpads).

yes, thats what im going to do tomorrow or maybe the day afterwards if i can, sadly enough they have only sennheisers and AKG up for listening. oh well.

BTW what can some one say about panasonic RP-HTF600-S ? they seem quite perfect so far, only one question, do they leak a lot ? if they do, im guessing the isolation is not that great as well

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 10
The V6 isn't a basshead headphone though. It sounds very neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back