New Portable System...
Aug 20, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 48
Can anyone confirm that the 580 does not have a line out? If not, I'm not sure I wanna go with that...

I was almost positive the 580 had a line out, but you don't think it does tim? Hmmmmm.....

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 48
JMT had said a while ago he hated how his 580/780 (don't remember which one...) had no line-out.

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #33 of 48
Hmmmmm...anyone out there with a 580?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm really curious now...

I know the 570 has a lineout, maybe I should just find one of those.

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:50 AM Post #34 of 48
The 580 has definitely NO line-out.
I don't know about the 780.

I remember calling the guys from panasonic and during a
15 minute talk I heard about 4 different statements.
What a bunch of $#%@....

I guess it must have - how else could you justify the price difference between the 780 and the 580 (battery power? I dont think so)

I have a 570 and love it. Has a line-out, good oldfashioned volume pot ( this digital volume of the newer volumes IMHO really sucks, very hard to operate) and it's built like something that will last much longer than the fragile 580/780.
And it has 10 sec linear skip protection with no compression-> maximum sound quality (plus 40 sec if you wish)
I had my silver baby in my pocket the other day(with the linear protection), running up/down the stairs, working out, etc. It didn't skip even once.

If you must have the tiniest player, then get the 780, but for anything else go for the 570. It's a great player.

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 20, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #35 of 48
the 780 has a line out, and it automatically selects the antiskip mode depending on what's plugged in.... with nothing, it assumes you're using its headphone out and it sets the antiskip to 40 seconds compressed... Not that big of an issue since the headphone out probably sucks anyways. If you plug in an amp, it changes it to 10 seconds linear, and with a digital cable, there's no antiskip at all. But north amercan versions don't have the digital out...

I like the 570 more than the newer ones, they seem to be better built, and have better sound. Plus you can set the antiskip level manually... but it has horrible battery life...

The new sony's have very poor headphone jacks, but if you're using an amp, i'd say they would give better sound quality, battery life, antiskip build quality, portibility than the panasonics... They really do sound great out of the line out (if you have a good amp, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 20, 2001 at 7:41 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

And if he's even CONSIDERING a TA for "portable" use, IMHO MD makes no sense.

Why not? The TA is very small, and MD + TA is still MUCH smaller than CD + TA.

I originally carried a CD-3400, TA, and Etys. WAY too big and bulky for me. I eventually switched to an MZ-R50, TA, and Etys. That package was about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the CD system.

Although now I'm into "smaller is better" so I'm using an E900 and planning on getting some ER4Ps
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 48
Hey guys, just talked to Todd...

I've got a TA, ety er4s's, and an airbag comin'. Now I'm lookin' for a cd player... Todd suggested the 470 (happy sackley?
smily_headphones1.gif
) if I can find one... So now the search begins!

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:46 PM Post #38 of 48
Flumpus, I tried walking around with the Ety's, and it was a FRUSTRATING experience:

The cord noise against my shirt was terrible (I wasn't about to flip the earbuds upside down to look EVEN MORE silly) despite the shirt clip. Footsteps also echoed into my ears. Horrid.

They also amplify WIND NOISE. You know how the wind "howls" in the night in B movies? Well, that's EXACTLY how it will sound...

As far as the CDP goes, I recall someone saying that the Sony D-EJ01, despite having crappy headphone output has amazing line-out... may be worth checking out for you, perhaps?

Aug 20, 2001 at 3:39 PM Post #40 of 48
MacDEF: For you, HAVING an amp was too much. YOU (and I) both need MD. OTH, using an amp with Ety 4S' basically shows that you don't need the smallest size around. Especially if you want to walk around with HD600s, which are prolly bigger than EITHER (CD or MD) combination.....

Aug 20, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #42 of 48
I know, I know.....I'm just not the type to let my view take a back seat
wink.gif

All I meant was while they are both "pocketable" (nice word, MacDEF
smily_headphones1.gif
), I think one is portable, and one, transportable.

Aug 20, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #43 of 48
Well, I'm pumped!

I don't care what people say about ety's in the wind, the ta, cdp vs. md's, anything! I just can't wait to try out my new system. Everything should be here by wednesday, so I'll let yall know how it sounds!

Aug 20, 2001 at 11:57 PM Post #44 of 48
Well, Flumpus, as you can imagine, I'm with you all the way on the choice of CD as your portable source. Just make sure to carry a big, comfy backpack like I do almost everywhere I go.

I carry an Eagle Creek Continental Journey backpack when I need to carry my whole office for long distances; a Brenthaven Executive Backpack for shorter distances and medium sized loads; and an Amazon.com BackOffice backpack (which I don't think they make anymore) that I use for smaller loads. The Eagle Creek and Brenthaven will hold my Pelican case inside of them, and I use a luggage strap to lash the Pelican case onto the Amazon.com backpack.

Aug 21, 2001 at 12:00 AM Post #45 of 48
Hey Jude.... (hehe)

Got the airbag along with all that, so hopefully it'll be pretty good for me. BTW, just some more positive feedback for headroom...

Todd was very nice on the phone, gave me a good deal, and shipping is gonna be quick and cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back