New portable headphones and amp $700 budget
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hyg71886

Head-Fier
I have looked around in the forums for some new portable headphones and amp. I currently run with a zune 120gb GOD2 LE, AKG K181DJ headphones, Fiio E5 amp. I listen to trance, hip hop, rap, rock, r&b, jazz, new edge instrumental (the group mono if that helps), and I don't no what groups like Lykke Le are considered lol. Anyway, a few months ago I purchased so Audio Technica M50's, these are great headphones and I love them, how ever I keep them for in house use strictly. But because in my opinion they sound so much better then my akg's, I want to upgrade my portable set up and keep the akgs for the gym. I am currently looking at the Headstage Arrow 12HE (High Efficiency) for my new amp and for my headphones the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pros. I was considering the 990's and maybe 880's but from what I have read I don't think I would like the sound. The sound of my M50's is perfect, although I most admit I would like some portable cans that are much punchier with the bass and deep. I am still a child when it comes to sound equipment but I would describe my M50's as warm and detailed. I would like to keep that with maybe a touch of brightness and bass. Would the dt770 pros fit the bill? I'm open to recommendations

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I have long been wondering about the ESW9A. I currently own the ES7 and I think they are really great if you like a headphone with killer attack. They are aggressive and forward with a surprising amount of bass. Build quality seems good to me although I'm not rough on headphones. They are really not the most comfortable ever though. The pleather on the earpads is of a pretty low quality.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option - keep your mp3 player and get some jh13/16s?

I will agree to that
smily_headphones1.gif
, Dream portable rig

Decent DAP a Ray Samuels Protector and a Balanced JH13/18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back