New Portable Amp - "Pocket Class A" by xrk971 - now available as complete PCB
May 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #376 of 427
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #378 of 427
I've got a couple of questions about the naming convention on the schematics (specifically the DCA) on your web store.
A few of the capacitors have labels with letter suffixes:
C101
C101A - C101D
C102
C102A - C102D
C111
C111A - C111B
C112
C112A - C112B
C113
C113A
C114
C114A

Are the ones with letters optional, or do all of the capacitors need to be installed?
The Values given for some of those capacitors isn't listed in uF.
For example - what size / values should I try to buy for these?
C101A C22/10 C22.5B10
C101B C27/17 C27.5B17

Thanks,
David Baldock

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #379 of 427
Those designations refer to all the optional pad sizes for different caps. This board was made for the DIY cap roller who likes to try different caps. They come in different lead spacings.

The main thing to know is that the input cap should be at least 4.7uF film or electrolytic. If electrolytic put positive facing the JFET.

The output cap should be at least 2200uF electrolytic. You can bypass with a film cap of several sizes.

So to get a working amp, I would suggest a 4.7uF MKP axial or radial film cap with lead spacing fitting one of those spaces.

On output, use a 2200uF radial electrolytic. Add a 2.2uF MKP or MKS cap and you are good. Sometimes no film bypass needed. Some people think that sounds better actually.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #380 of 427
I think you are overthinking this. You might want to just get a board and start building. Nothing is locked in concrete and you can swap parts to your hearts content as the copper is 2oz thick and held down with lots of vias on 2mm board. It’s very durable and can withstand desoldering. Build one board and listen to it. If you like it, build another and make your balanced drive amp then. It’s an easy amp to make and get working and the sound is fantastic. You know the sound - like the Pocket Class A but lots more power.

Juat start building and trying it out and if you need stuff, Mouser is in Texas and ships you stuff the next day or two. That will answer many more questions than trying to get it all figured out on paper first. :)

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #381 of 427
Hi David,
You might want to start participating in the GB thread - that’s where the community asks questions and share answers. That way, everyone benefits from the same questions you ask. There’s a lot of good info in the thread - like matching JFETs or what DC-DC converter to use, or what caps work well, etc. the question you just asked about optional caps was asked in post 22 for example.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...op-class-dca-headphone-amp-3.html#post5435639

Here is main thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/322638-xrk971-desktop-class-dca-headphone-amp.html

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #382 of 427
Thanks!

I see that your web store lists "Matched FETs for DCA" - are those still available?

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #384 of 427
Aug 8, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #385 of 427
crap is getting hardcore in here. I like it.

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #387 of 427
Working on the logistics of assembling an integrated Amp (Balanced & Un-Balanced) / Selector Switch unit for headphones.
It will have Balanced & Un-Balanced inputs for line level, and headphone level signals, and be able to switch them through to DCA Amps, and/or Balanced & Un-Balanced output jacks.
There will have to be some smarts to the relay control switching, to keep from sending a Balanced signal to an Un-Balanced load.
Here's a block diagram of what needs to be inside the chassis -
DSC-180812-125027.jpg

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #388 of 427
Dbaldock9,

I think I have a much simpler passive solution for you. It's detailed over on DIYA thread for DCA, but I will repeat here:

You might be able to do this via passive "switching" on the input/output TRS or XLR jacks.

Here is one approach to try... when using balanced, require a 4 pin XLR input jack to be used and 4 pin XLR output (to phones to be used) and wire accordingly.

When desiring to use unbalanced input and unbalanced output, use 3.5mm or 1/4in TRS input jack with right and left connected to only the +ve side of respective left DCA, and right DCA board. Correspondingly, the DCA board output on +ve side goes to right/left of TRS output jack. So basically, the negative (-ve) side of each DCA board is left unused when in unbalanced mode.

See attached schematic. Easy peasy... You could in fact power both balanced and unbalanced headphones simultaneously as amp has plenty of power to spare assuming impedance is not too low on either can. Since everything is cap-coupled, there is no fear of DC imbalance blowing something out.

Cheers,
X

attachment.php

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #390 of 427

Users who are viewing this thread

Back