New Porcupine Tree today: first impressions?
Apr 25, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I unfortunately have not had the chance to pick up the album yet and I refuse to listen to any tracks online before doing so.

Was wondering what the rest of you who may have picked it up already think?

Very much looking forward to the show on the 19th.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I unfortunately have not had the chance to pick up the album yet and I refuse to listen to any tracks online before doing so.

Was wondering what the rest of you who may have picked it up already think?

Very much looking forward to the show on the 19th.

It's pure class as you would expect and for me it's getting better with each listen.

I'm rubbish at reviews, but this one is quite decent:

http://uk.music.ign.com/articles/782/782982p1.html

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 42
^Only allowed myself to hear one track, and want to listen altogether...very much looking forward to getting the new album; I want the LP, and have been hawking for a copy. Anyone find one for sale and where I may order one yet, or is the LP not available as of now?

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Only allowed myself to hear one track, and want to listen altogether...very much looking forward to getting the new album; I want the LP, and have been hawking for a copy. Anyone find one for sale and where I may order one yet, or is the LP not available as of now?

Good question, I'd love to get the LP even though my CD came in today
tongue.gif

Right now there's a limited edition DVD-V, and a DVD-A planned in the future but I haven't heard anything about an LP. My guess is if it does come out it will be very limited.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question, I'd love to get the LP even though my CD came in today
tongue.gif

Right now there's a limited edition DVD-V, and a DVD-A planned in the future but I haven't heard anything about an LP. My guess is if it does come out it will be very limited.

haha, thought so myself..and debated as to whether to even post such a question..I wreckon, nonetheless, that I will have a copy sitting at home shortly thereafter, distribution that is
icon10.gif

Can't WAIT!!

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 42
anesthetize is probably on my top 5 now.

hmm...

last chance to evacuate planet earth before it is recycled
arriving somewhere but not here
the start of something beautiful
shesmovedon
pure narcotic

but what to knock off? hell if i know.

i love the whole album pretty much, though

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 42
So I finally get a chance towards the end of the day today to go out and grab a copy.
What do I do?
Leave the CD on my desk in the office.
mad.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 42
Picked it up last night and as previous posts have said, I can't get enough. Finally a Detroit show which I scored a pair of tickets. Can't wait to hear this stuff performed live.
580smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 42
I just finished a listen of the 5.1 DTS version of this album and it rocks.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait until the DVD-A comes out!

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 42
Popped it in about 3 minutes ago and am half way through fear of a blank planet.
Wow.
Exactly what I expected-dark and even somewhat experimental sounding with a welcome metal overtone.
Looking forward to a rainy, music filled weekend in NYC.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 42
I like it, so take my next comments in that context:

It's not my favorite of their albums that I've heard. I like both Deadwing and In Abstentia quite a bit better. My current favorite is Stupid Dream, which I bought last week and have been listening to repeatedly since then. Unfortunately, I've not yet found the time to listen to the DVD-A...maybe yet tonight.
biggrin.gif

I think that Fear of a Blank Planet sounds too much like Rush to these ears. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means that it sounds less like the stuff that I like, and so I like it less.

All in all, it's not a bad album. I'll probably skip the DVD-A, unless it really grows on me in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back