New Pocket Reference is Close
Aug 21, 2005 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
Aug 21, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 25
Yes, this is new from Larocco. It should be finished in another couple of weeks. The images there are of a prototype. You can read most, if not all, of the details in this thread.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 25
as most portables use a single line out trs jack

making a portable amp that only used RCA jacks defeats the purpose of portablility doesnt it?

there are no portable players that support RCA cables. at least not pocketable ones for the pocket reference amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish they wouldve made the amp trs compatible,

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 25
I'm sorry, what's trs? You'll just have to make me a high quality RCA to mini cable.
biggrin.gif

Edit: AE-1 is also RCA. This amp is supposed to be "audiophile" grade, hence the RCA jacks.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 25
Wow that amp looks sweet. Much different than the older pocket reference (and rest of Larocco's amps) but in a good way!

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
as most portables use a single line out trs jack

making a portable amp that only used RCA jacks defeats the purpose of portablility doesnt it?

there are no portable players that support RCA cables. at least not pocketable ones for the pocket reference amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish they wouldve made the amp trs compatible,

Sorry to say but you are mistaken. Case in point? RIO KARMA. The rio has a little addon plug which will take its 6pin docket connector and turn it into an RCA Line output. It is small and judging from the Karma's size, it will easily fit in a pocket. Well, in my pocket at least. These devices exist for the iPOD as well, for those who don't want to connect the device to a dock in order to get a line out.

Also one more thing, to my knowledge, most TRS cables are quarter inch, and judging from the flexibility of a quarter inch cable, that would be less portable, or at least less convenient, than a mini to RCA or a true line out plug converter.
Neil

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 25
They sell these ipod-dock to dual male rca cables here at our NEX. They're professionally done (look just like apple cables) so you could use that and it would probably act as a line out straight to RCA. Hopefully this PR is small enough to go in the pocket. My v2 PR is more of a transportable, and for anyother player other than an iPod the RCA inputs is a hassle (it would require using the dock for the karma. Not sure if the Karma locks onto the dock, if not you'd have two problems 1) its huge and akward, 2) Karma falling off of the dock in your pocket or backpack and losing sound.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Also one more thing, to my knowledge, most TRS cables are quarter inch, and judging from the flexibility of a quarter inch cable, that would be less portable, or at least less convenient, than a mini to RCA or a true line out plug converter.
Neil

im sorry but youre just wrong. one RA mini cable is more convenient then RCA cables or mini to RCA.

you were way off with your convenience comment.

as mentioned earlier, the RCA jacks on portables are NOT standard, an adapter is needed.
If there were an option like the ae-1 to incorporate both 1/8" and RCA that would be better.

Mini jack for portable use, and RCA for home source use.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

What price range are we talking about here?

-Matt

Around $500 I think.

Was the pre-order price around $400?

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 25
im sorry but youre just wrong. one RA mini cable is more convenient then RCA cables or mini to RCA.

you were way off with your convenience comment.

as mentioned earlier, the RCA jacks on portables are NOT standard, an adapter is needed.
If there were an option like the ae-1 to incorporate both 1/8" and RCA that would be better.

Mini jack for portable use, and RCA for home source use.
=============================================

My reply was in reference to the fact that you were asking for a TRS connector instead of RCA. I just did a search and I have found, to my search, that there are indeed no mini TRS connectors. They are all quarter inch. Now are you going to tell me a quarter inch jack in my protable is more convenient than an RCA cable? Honestly, at the most they are equivalent. A mini cable on the other hand yes, of course, that is smaller and more portable. Again, my comment is in reference to your TRS comment.

Relax. Don't be so quick to fire off. My comment wasn't intended to ruffle your feathers. We are all here in this forum to learn about and enjoy a passion, not to "beat" each other (with knowledge or otherwise).

Neil

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 25
trs refers to the segments on the connector

1/4" refers to the diameter of the pole.

the connector tip consists of 3 segments,

the top segment aka tip is the segment that carries the left channel signal
the middle segment carries the right channel signal
the base of the pole and barrel is called the groung aka sleeve.

trs refers not to size but the segments on the connectors, if you see something that says trs, its a stereo connector, is its TS the its mono.

anatomy of a TRS connector

sysplit21.jpg

sysplit11.jpg

sysplit31.jpg

I hope that clears up any confusion
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back