New Phones or a DAC?
Feb 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #16 of 21
I am not planning on getting an amp right away of I get the compass since it has one integrated and I don't wanna spend a fortune right now. What I'm saying is what would be a better upgrade a compass or ad2000s

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 21
conventional wisdom here is that nothing will give you greater immediate impact than a new pair of headphones. My take is that the phones will only ever be able to transmit the signal your source is sending - if its a poor approximation of the original recording, no headphone is going to fix that. Its DAC all the way for mine - just dont expect instant miracles.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by havox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not planning on getting an amp right away of I get the compass since it has one integrated and I don't wanna spend a fortune right now. What I'm saying is what would be a better upgrade a compass or ad2000s

You have the compass and your wondering if you should upgrading the DAC part or get headphones? Headphones.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by havox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm but what would I get better sound from, a pair of ad2000s with my computer and itegrated soundcard(which still sounds good with my ad700s) or buy a dac for my ad700s (compass most likely)

You might say I'm a bit biased (note to everyone else: I've been discussing selling my Compass to havox), but I've always advocated a balanced system...that is, DAC > Amp > 'phones all of comparable quality. Considering the price we'd been talking about for the Compass, I'd say Compass + upgrade to AD900 would give you a better sound than just AD2000 for a similar price. Or even Compass + $200-$300 non-Audio-Technica headphones might give you a broader experience base...maybe look for some used K501's or HD580s?

Oh, and if you can find an AD2000 for a price comparable to a Compass, let me know...the best price I've found is more than twice what we'd been talking.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back