New PCDP's worth owning?
Feb 20, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 15
I consider myself a fair judge of sound quality, and I don't believe you need to compare equipment to find a player you like the sound of - nor is it practical in this case. That being said, the SlimX is far better that the Panasonics and Sonys I've heard.

Also, check out Headroom.com and see their recommnded players

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 15
Sony D-NE10.

I have the iriver imp-350, Sony D-555, D-EJ1000, D-EJ2000, D-NE400, D-5, Panasonic SL-MP75. Various home equipment: solid state, tube, dynamic and electrostatic headphones.

Unless one wants to purchase the D-555 for the superior sound, the D-NE10 gets my nod. The Sony D-NE10 and D-NE400 have parametric EQ which allows for selection of the center of EQ adjustment for three bands as well as the level.

Having said that, to ask for help and then bite the people who offer it isn't very nice. Comparisons, in my view, are nearly worthless unless one *knows* the likes and dislikes of the people doing the comparisons. Take the time learn about what is being recommened and then make one's own comparison.

Paul

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't have much experience with PCDPs but I'd recommend the D-EJ2000 as well. It sounded superior to my former discmen the D-11 and D-220--not legendary discmen but old ones, anyway. I'd also give the D-EJ2000 a slight nod in sound quality over the Rio Karma and Nomad Zen Xtra as well.

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 15
What about all the Panasonic PCDPs with digital headphone amps? It seems that everyone acknowledges their existence, but I haven't read any comments (good or bad) about their actual sound quality. I'm actually surprised at the total absence of buzz about these things.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #13 of 15
That's maybe becuase Panasonic didn't include line -outs in their 7/810 North American models, which waivered audiophiles to stay away from them. I personally prefer panasonics looks and don't use an amp, so I opted for the 710 and am very impressed by it!

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 15
The D-NE300 is a great choice. No FM radio, but still has the adjustable parametric EQ (VERY handy), plays mp3 cd's, has great battery life on easily found AA batteries, and is only about $55-60 nowadays ($54.95 at Target, I think). No line out, but for easily driven headphones (Sony V6, Grados, Koss KSC-series stuff) it's a great match, and allows you to spend more money on cds!

just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back