New PCDP needed: cdrw/mp3 support, remote. Suggestions?
Oct 23, 2003 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Prizm

New Head-Fier
I would appreciate some suggested models to look at for a new PCDP. My limit is around $250 US.

I need CDRW and MP3 support, a remote, and decent anti-skip.
iRiver doesn't seem to be an option as I live in Australia and there are no iRiver distributors here.

I was looking at the Sony D-NE9, but someone mentioned it wasn't that hot.

Suggestions appreciated! I've looked through the board but couldn't find a similar post.

Thanks,
Prizm

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 26
I just recently purchased the Sony D-NE1. I think it is a good player but I'm still an audio newbie and if I was reading my opinion I wouldn't listen to it. Anyways the battery life can't be beat and it has the CDRW/MP3 support and remote that you want. I currently use a self-built CMOY with my Beyer DT831 through the line out. My last PCDP was crap so I have no real reference for its performance but as I said I like it.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 26
Hmm, you shouldn't really cross out iRiver from your options. I know somebody is selling his iMP-350 on the board here, can't remember his name though. He's selling it for a very good price (like, 50$ or something, a steal IMO). It's a very good player, not much of a battery life (so if you travel around alot, and do not come home often to recharge, then it's probably not a good option). But appart from that, I heard nothing but good stuff about it. The iMP-400 is in your price range too (from amazon.com at least) and it's similar, but with a nicer look (or not, toilet seat!
tongue.gif
) and the remote is more nicely thought.

I can't comment on the Sony's except for the D-CJ01. I lilked it a lot but it didn't have a FFWD function for MP3. Sound quality was pretty good, and it was very functional. Read everything I threw at it (except unclosed CDs.. duh). I tried a D-NE710 the other day and it couldn't read some of the CDs I put in it, MP3CDs that is. I then tried a D-CJ01 and it read them perfectly.. Eh. Sony
rolleyes.gif

Hope I helped.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 26
I have a ne9 but I havent really been able to listen to it much yet. I can say it looks gorgeous tho, really slick, and the charging stand is great, the remote is nice also. I can say it does distort on high volume settings tho, driving headphones straight from the jack. I have an iriver ifp195t and running that at max volume doesnt distort, so if the iriver pcpds have similar amp qualities then thats nice. The I love the ne9 on all other areas than sound quality tho, build, design, battery etc. The sound quality is just to early to say, Ive listened to it maybe 14 minutes total.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for the replies.

This is getting tougher and tougher. I'm willing to pursue iRiver (and pay for shipping) if it comes down to it. But my list of candidates is practically none now.

From what I've read on the board:

- Panasonic SL-CT800: Average sound quality, some bad reviews
- Sony D-NE9: Average sound quality
- Sony D-EJ2000: Good reviews, but no mp3 support
- iRiver iMP-550: Skips, laser sux0rs
- iRiver iMP-400: Low battery life (3 hours)

The D-NE9 is rather expensive for what it is, if it doesn't have noteworthy sound quality. I would've gone for the iMP-400 if it had proper batter life.

I need anti-shock, and I need decent battery life - at least give me 10 hours for normal CD playback. Sorry, I don't want an old model either.

Now what?
confused.gif

Prizm

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 26
I won't be using an amp, and will rarely use the line-out feature. I would like to use my HD-590s though - can I plug these into the remote with a miniplug adapter? I use my 590s sometimes with my old PCDP (Sony D-E775) and they don't sound so hot coming out of a portable, but hey.

But I've just looked at Sony's D-NE1 - and the US model is totally different from the Australian model! (where I live).

The US model, with it's early 90s-looking headphones, and gumstick+AA batteries option:

DNE1.jpg

And the australian model with only gumsticks option:
dne1au.jpg

All other features (besides headphones/batteries) seem to be the same. Plus the US version is $130 US cheaper...that's a huge difference..

EDIT: If I go for the US version, what website would I purchase it from? I'd need a place that would ship overseas.

Prizm

Oct 23, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 26
I ordered my ne9 from audiocubes, I ordered for so much $$$ that I got a free transformer, If you have a sony discman you will likely have a 4.5v ps that will work with the ne9 also tho...

Oct 23, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 26
I just looked at the Australian Version and according to sony it has the external battery case for the 2 AA batteries. I am in Canada and I am pretty sure that the US model is the same as the Canadian model (except for the supplied headphones) and in order to use AA batteries I have to utilize the external battery case that connects to the player. So far I have had no need for that since the gum stick batteries give more than enough battery life. And I don't know why the US model shows only one gum stick battery since the player uses two, according to the spec. I also wouldn't know how the HD590's would sound out of the remote but I have to turn the remote almost on full to drive my DT831's to the point where the sound is at listening level and then it doesn't sound as good as through an amp, but that is expected.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 26
Another option is the Aiwa XP-ZV1. It's a good and honest MP3/CD player and by the naked eye comparison, sizewise not really different to the iMP-550. I didn't ask, but the version I had to play with was probably not an European model. I quite liked the sound coming out of it. Unfortunately I'd lent the D-NE1 elsewhere at this time so only did a brief iRiver vs Aiwa test. Also sat the two side by side and it's hard to tell any real difference in size or mass. The remote (well OK the player too) is a repackaged Sony item and it's bolted together well. It should be a lot less than $250US.

As for MP3 compatibility, I didn't have the ZV1 for long so I couldn't run major comparison tests. The iRiver is in my belief the benchmark of MP3 compatibility. If a file labelled MP3 doesn't work on it, it's probably a renamed AAC file
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

iRiver iMP-400: Low battery life (3 hours)

Uh. Where did you hear that? I can't recall seeing that anywhere, might've been somebody who
didn't know how to use his batteries properly (discharge completly then recharge.. etc).

Quote:

iRiver iMP-550: Skips, laser sux0rs

Was only a batch. Don't think the newer ones are like that anymore (so my guess would
be if you buy one new, you probably won't get that type of problem).

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Uh. Where did you hear that?

The last post on this page.

Thanks for the Audio Cubes link, guys.

Ok, so far I'm looking at the D-NE1, since it's a lot cheaper overseas than it is here. I can't afford the iMP-550 (if the skip issue has indeed been resolved) because I'd still have to pay for a transformer and shipping costs on top of the $249 US.

No one has yet mentioned whether I can plug my HD-590s (or any other headphones) into the remote? I don't mean whether the PCDP will drive the 'phones, but whether this can physically be done? Using an adapter? Because I'd still like to be able to use the remote if I changed headphones.

I have my old Sony 4.5v power supply - should I just use this with the D-NE1, or should I play it safe and get a transformer?

Thanks,
Prizm

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 26
my ne9 uses a 4.5v I think all sony discmen do...

As for the remote, the remote has a normal mini jack, not a micro jack. Headphones terminated to a 1/8" can be plugged straight into it, headphones with 1/4" plugs can be connected using a 1/4"->1/8" adapter. I think the hd590s are terminated to a mini (?) if so then they can go straight into the remote

Edit: Personally, Id get the ne9 instead, I had the same chocie as you and to me it seemed that the ne1 was just a slightly thinner and lighter ne9, and I thought the blue ne9 looked much better so I got that instead, seeing it with me own eyes I was imprssed at how slick it is. And its cheaper than the ne1... imo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back