New pair of in ear monitors after 10 years
Mar 19, 2017 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

foges

Head-Fier
It's been almost exactly 10 years since I bought my Shure E4C's. Unfortunately I lost them a couple of years ago and am now looking for a new pair of in-ears. I haven't kept up to date on recent developments, and so I was hoping head-fi'ers might be able to help me out with some advice.

I did quite a bit of googling and reading head-fi reviews and from what I can tell both the Shure SE425 and Westone W30 seem to hit the sweet spot in terms of performance/dollar, with the Shure more targeted to Vocals/Classical/Jazz and the Westone more targeted towards Rock/Pop/Electronic. I listen to music in most categories (with the exception of Hip-Hop, Rap, and Heavy Metal). Most of my time is spent listen to Rock/Pop/Electronic/Indie music. I like headphones that can deliver a solid bass, but I don't like them to be too bass heavy (eg. Beats). Based on this the Westone seems to be a good choice. 

My question is: does this seem like a reasonable conclusion, or did I miss something? Are there any other IEMs that I should also be considering? Are the Westone too bass heavy for people? 

Looking forward to hearing your answers. Thank you!

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi Ike1985. Thank you for your suggestion. Looking around for flickenick I found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12-2-w500-1-se5u Is that the one you meant?

The IEMs they're comparing are > $1000, which is a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now. The $400 for Westone W30 is already pushing it, $200-300 would be preferable (should have mentioned that originally).

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 4
  Hi Ike1985. Thank you for your suggestion. Looking around for flickenick I found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12-2-w500-1-se5u Is that the one you meant?

The IEMs they're comparing are > $1000, which is a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now. The $400 for Westone W30 is already pushing it, $200-300 would be preferable (should have mentioned that originally).

saw your other Thread. Dunu Dn2000 is still a pretty spectacular hybrid option. Having heard and enjoyed other strong mid-fi contenders, this is one is SOLID. End to end extension and really good mids. The Headphonelist reviewed them well too. See my response and suggestions in the other thread you started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back