New pair of headphones different from momentum
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Thompd15

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have a pair of sennheiser momentums for listening to all my music and for gaming. I got them with the intent of using them as on-the-go headphones and then getting a pair of desktop listening headphones later. I really like the sound of the momentums but having only listened to a few other headphones I'm not too familiar with everything out there. I was looking to spend $500 max on the headphones and then probably get the schiit magni+modi(or better) to go with it. My initial thought was to get the HD650's because it seems to be a wonderful all around sort of headphone. I listen to rock and edm mostly but i also play a lot of video games which is almost as important. I have also seen that the Beyer DT990's or 880's are also great headphones and I'm not entirely sure about those. I'm just worried that i may be disappointed with the 650's since i would be staying in the sennheiser family and the sound may not be too different(haven't listened to many open headphones, so i don't really know how much different it is). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 2
The HD650 'phones are open and that, alone, will give you a different listening experience.  Same for the Beyers you mention.  To distinguish even a bit more from the momentums, you might also want to read up on the difference between the HD 600 and HD 650.  I'm fond of my HD 650s... but there are some days where I think the 600 might be the better choice... just a bit more even handed from bottom to top.

For what it's worth the Senn HD 600 and HD 650s both have detachable cables and so you can easily go to custom built cables if so inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back