New Order: Get Ready
Oct 24, 2001 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tktran

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Has anyone heard this album? I downloaded "Crystal" just for kicks, and to see what the guys are like 8 years on.

It's no bad.. and growing on me.

(when you've got a single song looping in winamp for a few hours, you know it's infectious!)
:)

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

I downloaded "Crystal" just for kicks, and to see what the guys are like 8 years on.

8 years on... try 18 years on
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Actually 20.5 years on to be precise, first New Order single was
"ceremony" released 3/81..........I remembering buying this record when it first came out in the new releases bin at Wax Trax in Chicago. Flip side was funeral anthem "lonely place" in tribute
to Ian Curtis recently deceased.

Listened to some samples from "get ready" and agree that this is good stuff! Amazing they can put out this level of music after over 20yrs (not counting Joy Division era) which makes them one of the most influential bands of modern music.

Dam, another CD to buy.....wish it had more than 10 tracks, that is the only negative i see

Oct 27, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 13
I just bought this and it's excellent. Call me old fashioned, but I love this kind of stuff. All the songs are good, all are catchy and have big, driving bass lines. Recommended.

Ross

Oct 27, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Actually 20.5 years on to be precise, first New Order single was
"ceremony" released 3/81..........I remembering buying this record when it first came out in the new releases bin at Wax Trax in Chicago.

Sorry, DA, I was thinking of album releases -- you got me there
wink.gif

P.S. I used to love that record store...

Oct 28, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 13
i still haven't heard it. i will try catch a listen soon.

what's everyone think of all the bands they split up into?

Oct 28, 2001 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I have one CD from side project "electronic" CD also titled "electronic" which is pretty good and worth getting, available very cheap used at half.com

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 13
I remember the track "Tasty Fish" by The Other Two from my days as a kiddie ('91?). Bernie teamed up with Neil Tennant for a song, I think('89?). Monaco put out an album during BritPop mania. I liked the leadoff single from that one a lot. I don't know any other side projects. Its commendable how well they can adapt to the changing pop music scene. Will give the new cd a try!

Oct 28, 2001 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 13
I've kept up with all of the New Order side projects. The only duds have been The Other Two and Revenge, and I even liked those, though not enough to recommend them to anyone else other than completists. My favorites have probably been the recent (second) Monaco release and the first Electronic release.

Oh, and PS on the current New Order album: in sticking with their trends, New Order have made an album that is different than any other they have made. Every single album they have made has a different personality. This one is their most guitars-y, rock-and-roll album, yet.

Oct 28, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Electronic: excellent -- one of my favorite 90s pop albums (but with Bernard, Johnny Marr, and Neil Tennant, how could you go wrong?)

The Other Two: a couple fun, catchy tracks, but overall not great

Revenge: a couple catchy tracks, but otherwise awful, IMO

Haven't heard much Monaco

Bernie has done a lot of "guest vocalist" tracks, more than I could keep track of. Also, every once in a while I hear a song with Peter's distinctive bass style -- my guess is he's been doing some guest appearances himself.

Nov 3, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Well I broke all the rules and went to my local Best Buy and got scalped for full price on this CD. It is a solid effort with no filler,
one moderate rocker with "rock the shack" this is mature/polished work of a gifted group of musicians, a rarity in this MTV age of karaoke bands.

One reservation however, the entire CD is very polished even to the point of occassional female chorus back-up (cringe!) on a couple tracks. Not a great deal of variety here, and I think creative touch that made "Technique" and previous albums great
is somewhat lacking........what do others think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back