New options from Xin
Sep 8, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 85
I didn't understand all the technical details, but I believe Dr. Xin is offering the best product he can at the lowest price.

I was somewhat saddened by Dr. Xin's comment that some people attack him for improving his products.

There were some posts here criticising his products for many illogical reasons.

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 85
He is indeed something unique, sometimes a little too geeky,for example the 4 supermacro idea-I'm trying to imagine some dude walking around with 4 small metal boxes in his pocket,
evil_smiley.gif
whoever does that must be the ultimate headphone geek.

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas

There were some posts here criticising his products for many illogical reasons.

Illogical reasons?, ummm. I don’t think so. Xin products are made of the cheapest components I ever seen in my entire life (to rip you off, real well). Cheap components mixed with a good design, that's his philosophy.

I won’t get one of his products, not in this life and not in the next. Inside his amps, you can find solder points touching each other, cheap speaker wires, cheap pots, cheap etc, etc. It depends, what materials he has handy. If you don’t believe me, please open your SMV3.

I can’t even move this SMV3 fast. If I do it, all batteries move inside and the amp just turn off.

I am even ashamed to sell it here, to other headfiers. Can you imagine?

He himself, says that we heafiers are picky. Hell yeah I am picky, at US 349

After, what I have seen inside the SMV3, I would doubt about the quality of any products coming from Xing.

The truth is hard to swallow, but eventually will prevail. If some people don’t want to listen, is like them been blind.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 85
Thats how he makes his money, not by mainly getting new customers but by making money from customers who already purchased his product. its a different type of business strat and not a bad one at that (for him). the customer of xin is not a person who cares about quality at all, doesnt care what he/she has to pay for a "option" or "add on" cause thats why they buy the amp...to play with it and keep adding on..and on...and on..and he gives them many many choices to do it.

does any of the options actually benefit sonic performence of a ipod or another portable device these amps are marketed for?

he seems to listen greatly to his current customers and thats pretty good, his post was pretty 411ish about how he thinks about his amps and what not, and with some of the wording used He should get a job at the bose marketing team..lol (then again that same wording is used by every other audio maker i ever spoke to..lol)

The dual monoblock setup is pretty crazy man, infact for a ipod thats really insane. hey props to him for the idea's.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 85
i'm definitely in the "less is more" camp right now for portable amps. KISS. JMT's CHA-47 and Oski's Cmoy really impressed me on how it cut right through the mix of all the bells and whistles of the other portable amps. I'm enjoying a bread and butter Go-Vibe right now, and I couldn't be happier.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
You guys are a bunch of crazy Xin haters, I am speechless.

Actually I'm not a Xin hater. I recommended a SM to my friend, and borrowed it too when i was between amps. It's a nice unit, but just not the direction i'm going right now. Xin just happens to be going to feature-laden route, and that's the direction i'm not taking - nothing personal to Xin or his products. Plenty of other builders love the bells and whistles route too. I like Xin's stuff in other areas too. For instance, I LOVE his right angle mini adapter - talk about short and sweet!

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 85
as far as Xin the person I give him props! I think he is insane (good way) for his ideas, and nothing could be farther from the truth.

now when it comes to the product..well...

I cant wait till some one spends $1000 on a mono ver of the sm-w/e and posts it here..I actually want to hear this to.

hey if you like the product or business start of xin then more power to you

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 85
Jahn, sorry for the confusion, my comment is not directed to you. I Should have quoted what I was referring to. I think Xin might have some quality-control issues during the time when orders flooded in, but saying he was ripping off his customers is really out of line.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
Illogical reasons?, ummm. I don’t think so. Xin products are made of the cheapest components I ever seen in my entire life (to rip you off, real well). Cheap components mixed with a good design, that's his philosophy.

I won’t get one of his products, not in this life and not in the next. Inside his amps, you can find solder points touching each other, cheap speaker wires, cheap pots, cheap etc, etc. It depends, what materials he has handy. You don’t believe me, please open your SMV3.

I can’t even move this SMV3 fast. If I do it, all batteries move inside and the amp just turn off.

I am even ashamed to sell it here, to other headfiers. Can you imagine?

He himself, says that we heafiers are picky. Hell yeah I am picky, at US 349

The truth is hard to swallow, but eventually will prevail.

The truth is Xin is a great guy-an absolute gentleman in all my dealings with him. I have also yet to see a review in which anyone states that a similar product is better than, as opposed to having a different sound signature to-the SM3. Add to that the smallest form factor, greatest number of options etc. and I begin to wonder about your complaints.If other products used more expensive components in order to achieve noticeably better sound-which I would expect to be reflected in the reviews-you might have a point. As it is I don't think many would want to pay for expensive wire etc.. if it made no discernable difference to the sound.
As the owner of 2 SM 3's I naturally totally disagree with your comments on the quality of Xin's products. As for your SM 3 I challenge you to put it up for sale and see how quickly it is snapped up.
I'm all for constructive criticism but you're just indulging in hate speech towards one of the great contributors towards portable HiFi

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
You guys are a bunch of crazy Xin haters, I am speechless.

I got my amp and for the swtches at the time for free. About a $50 option. After reading the review of the SR-71 and saying from many that there was no difference in sound quality. All I can is the "Ray Samuels Audio" out there trying to make a quick buck too?

edit.. I don't think either are out to make a quick buck by making bad products. I have great respect for Ray's productions. I don't have respect for people who make comments without trying or not explaining how the product is bad in detail.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 85
I don't think either Xin or Ray are out to make a quick buck. They just have different approaches, and both manufacturers have a loyal following of folks that love their products for different reasons.

edit- which makes sense to me since their amps sound different imho!

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i'm definitely in the "less is more" camp right now for portable amps. KISS. JMT's CHA-47 and Oski's Cmoy really impressed me on how it cut right through the mix of all the bells and whistles of the other portable amps. I'm enjoying a bread and butter Go-Vibe right now, and I couldn't be happier.

The upcoming super mini and supermicro are definitely more minimalist than the SM 3 http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?...per,mini,micro

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 85
I have built and designed tube equipment and enjoy good no Fine quality. I like Leica cameras and the quality they ooze. In no way do I see any let down in the quality of construction or materials, given the small size needed for portable amps, in Xin's amps. I used to sell Leica cameras and even with these fine pieces I would occasionally have one come back for repair out of box. Some of the surface mount caps is Xin's amps cost $1.00 each. In manufacturing this adds up and this is just one item. He does not go for cheap but for quality in build and sound.

I do not see the new V3 as bells and whistles but something you can, if you wish, change in both sound and configuration with quality parts. Bells and whistles are something you get at Best Buy with an amp that has 50 cheap switches and like circuitry that just adds junk to the musical signal.

I have dropped, hiked, biked, accidentally kicked and have had other unintended abuses to the V3 without a hiccup in performance. If it were otherwise I would say so but I enjoy the quality and realization that I do not have a stagnant product.

Johh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back