New Oppo BD-83SE and Nuforce Edition.
Dec 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #61 of 69
Interesting.. I am eying this SE edition with a lot of interest.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdutta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could use some advice. I bought an Oppo 83 today (I live ten minutes from Oppo HQ, so this was relatively painless). I have it connected to a Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro by HDMI. I also have it connected to a Chord DAC64 by digital coax. Both pre/pro and DAC64 connect to a Rotel amp. I have just as much interest in sound quality as in Bluray quality (including SACD).

Dilemma - I am wondering if I should have gotten the SE - specifically, I wonder:

1. would I get better sound quality from SACD using analog outs from 83SE
2. would the Integra pass through the analog signal, or would it do an A/D then D/A conversion on it (thereby, defeating the purpose) - I believe the Integra has Burr-Brown DACs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SD

There has been much said about your integra at AVS see link.
Official BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - AVS Forum

The BD-83SE/NE is only for those that run analog out. So if you do go analog then you would run interconnect cables from the BD-83SE/NE directly to you amp unless you use your pre amp for volume control. If you do then you want to make sure your pre amp has bypass analog audio and that it doesn't digitize the analog signal. And then you would run your HDMI cable directly to your display.
To sum up. As long as your amp has a volume control there is no need for a pre amp or a DAC. The BD-83 has a volume control but you will loose AQ if you go below 80%
For a few more days Oppo will do the upgrade from your BD-83 to SE for $299 after that it looks like Oppo will direct you to Nuforce for the upgrade.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #65 of 69
Question: I saw this in the Nu-Force BDP-83 SE manual:

"There are no capacitors along the stereo signal path. On 7.1, the standard Oppo SE
deploys high-quality capacitors for block DC in the unlikely event of a power-supply
failure. However, we find that this approach is redundant and affects the sound, as
for the most part, preamps and power amps already employ DC blocking circuits.
Therefore, in designing the Nuforce Edition, we chose to bypass blocking capacitors
on L/C/R. Note: If you’re using special equipment, e.g., power amplifier that can
send DC to your speakers, and need to restore DC blocking, contact Nuforce Tech
Support.
"

Can someone please tell me whether any of these might need the restored DC blocking circuitery the manual is talking about?

1. Cary Xciter amp/DAC combination
2. Cary SLI-80 F1
3. Headroom ultra micro stack with Channel Islands D-200 monoblock amps (Class D amps)
4. Yamaha RX-797 receiver.

Also - does the warning in the manual apply only to 7.1 channel use or 2 channel as well? (But still would like to know if the above already have DC blocking, in any case).

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #67 of 69
sillysally;6217525 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is how I would describe my BD-83 no mod.
That is also how I would describe my BD-83 se Nuforce edition, also very smooth with a very good range.

That is why I went with Nuforce, plus I got in on there pre-order special (lasted 3 days). Plus they are very good to work with.
smile.gif

btw, after about 10 hours of use your SE will start to sound better but wait about 70-100s before it really takes off.

ss

Ironic you said that.. I mentioned in a post after 10hrs of play it sounded better
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that have a BD-83 or upgraded.

It seems that there is a handshake issue using a HDMI cable for video. So if you use the analog outs of the Oppo and play SACD with DSD the oppo will in most cases force PCM, so the only way to get DSD to work is first turn off the Oppo, unplug the HDMI cable and of course have DSD turned on.

I should add if your HDMI cable is plunged in something that doesn't support DSD. This only applies if you use both HDMI cable and analog interconnects for audio and use your analog outs for DSD.

Is this still an issue or has it been addressed with new firmware? Just so I understand correctly, this bug means that if I have an HDMI cable connected and insert a SACD, it will always use the Redbook layer and not the SACD layer on the disc?

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #69 of 69

Anyone can answer this?  Also with my NE connected to a Woo WA6 SE there is a hum coming through the headphones.  Currently checking with both Woo and Nuforce as to why this is happening.  A Sony CDP connected to the Woo, no hum.  So it must be the NE that is the cause.  Anyone else with this combo can chime in would be helpful as I can pass any info on to the mfg in helping me fix the problem.

UPDATE - just unplugged the HDMI into the TV and no more hum.  Seems the HDMI is affecting the amp somehow.  Will see what NuForce has to say.
Update #2 - Still not satisfied.  I went and checked the cable TV cable and it seems this is the culprit not the HDMI.  I think a simple in-line ground isolator between the cable coming in from outside and the TV input socket will do the trick.  A good one will cost about US$55 from Jensen Transformers which has a flat frequency response.
Quote:
Question: I saw this in the Nu-Force BDP-83 SE manual:

"There are no capacitors along the stereo signal path. On 7.1, the standard Oppo SE
deploys high-quality capacitors for block DC in the unlikely event of a power-supply
failure. However, we find that this approach is redundant and affects the sound, as
for the most part, preamps and power amps already employ DC blocking circuits.
Therefore, in designing the Nuforce Edition, we chose to bypass blocking capacitors
on L/C/R. Note: If you’re using special equipment, e.g., power amplifier that can
send DC to your speakers, and need to restore DC blocking, contact Nuforce Tech
Support.
"

Can someone please tell me whether any of these might need the restored DC blocking circuitery the manual is talking about?

1. Cary Xciter amp/DAC combination
2. Cary SLI-80 F1
3. Headroom ultra micro stack with Channel Islands D-200 monoblock amps (Class D amps)
4. Yamaha RX-797 receiver.

Also - does the warning in the manual apply only to 7.1 channel use or 2 channel as well? (But still would like to know if the above already have DC blocking, in any case).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back