New open Fostex TH500RP
Apr 1, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 18
Subbed. Pretty interested.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 18
They said, a while back, that it would cost the same as TH600. From the cheap and unoriginal look of it, they're making a very minimal design effort. People will buy it because they always do.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 18
They said, a while back, that it would cost the same as TH600. From the cheap and unoriginal look of it, they're making a very minimal design effort. People will buy it because they always do.

And here I thought the head-fi mantra was "it doesn't matter how it looks, just how it sounds"...

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 18
And here I thought the head-fi mantra was "it doesn't matter how it looks, just how it sounds"...

My point was how little work they put into it contrasted with how much they're charging. Just take the back off a T50RP and you more or less have this. (That wouldn't look pretty either, so it must be hi-fi. :wink:)

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 18
My point was how little work they put into it contrasted with how much they're charging. Just take the back off a T50RP and you more or less have this. (That wouldn't look pretty either, so it must be hi-fi.
wink.gif
)

So there's been no change at all except the open back? Care to quote a source? Because all I see is an announcement that it exists. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 18
So there's been no change at all except the open back? Care to quote a source? Because all I see is an announcement that it exists.

There's a whole thread. I mentioned it above but here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-update-prototype-revealed-at-canjam-2013. All they did was a little tuning of the T50RP driver, borrowed an existing housing from their other products, and the colander from my kitchen--and voila. You gotta hand it to them: it takes some balls to charge more than $350 for this effort.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 18
There's a whole thread. I mentioned it above but here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-update-prototype-revealed-at-canjam-2013. All they did was a little tuning of the T50RP driver, borrowed an existing housing from their other products, and the colander from my kitchen--and voila. You gotta hand it to them: it takes some balls to charge more than $350 for this effort.

Isn't this what literally every headphone company is guilty of? In fact, I give Fostex a lot of credit for openly acknowledging that they're using the identical drivers, unlike some companies *cough*akg*cough*.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 18
Isn't this what literally every headphone company is guilty of?

Not some of the current offerings at the price I mentioned: M100 and HP50, even Focal. Besides, "Everyone else was doing it too" is a sorry excuse.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 18
I'm sorry, but the point is if it sounds as good as current 600-700 dollar headphones overall then they'll price it somewhere up there. No business is ever going to add up all the material and design costs and then sell it at the bare minimum based on that. Afterall not only do they need to make a profit on each themselves, we also must realize the retailers and resellers must make a cut off the price as well. Say it took X amount of $$$ for material and driver, need to pay worker labour as well, machinery costs at the factory, then shipping costs to the sellers, seller needs to make a profit, marketing the headphone needs to be done, then they need to have money on the side for warranty claims and repairs otherwise they will be losing money on parts and drivers. The company needs to make a profit over all of this to keep employing its staff and to fund future R&D work. So why would anyone expect it to get a final price for a product like this at the very bare minimum over what you thinks it costs to build in material?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back