New onboard, disappointed
May 12, 2018 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently built a new PC with AMD Ryzen 2700X on a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon board. It was advertised as Alc1220 with amp and all the bells and whistles. .

Turns out it is firstly only half as loud as my old gigabyte mobo and the treble above 10khz is smoothed off entirely. I turned off all the sound effects but it doesn't help.

My DT770 is supposed to be a little bright on top. With this MSI board you don't notice it.

On most other sources I have to EQ it down not up.

Also even giving 16khz +12db makes almost zero difference.

on my old mobo that would be ear piercing bright.

so I guess I need a solution with neutral response!

Do you guys think the Creative AE5 card would be a good choice?

Or what other dac amp would be recommended up to 200€

May 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi,
I recently built a new PC with AMD Ryzen 2700X on a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon board. It was advertised as ALC1220 with amp and all the bells and whistles. .
Turns out it is firstly only half as loud as my old gigabyte mobo and the treble above 10khz is smoothed off entirely. I turned off all the sound effects but it doesn't help.
My DT770 is supposed to be a little bright on top. With this MSI board you don't notice it.
On most other sources I have to EQ it down not up.
Also even giving 16khz +12db makes almost zero difference.
on my old mobo that would be ear piercing bright.
so I guess I need a solution with neutral response!
Do you guys think the Creative AE5 card would be a good choice?
Or what other DAC amp would be recommended up to 200€

Have you updated the audio drivers for your motherboard?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64

I'm guessing your old motherboard's on-board audio, output more voltage to the headphone jack, then your new motherboard.

With 200 Euros, i would be looking at replacing the DT770, before looking at getting a sound card or external DAC/amp.
After buying new headphones, sell off the DT770, then see how much your willing to budget for a sound card.
If your a big fan of your DT770, maybe just buy a used (60-70 Euros?) Sound Blaster Z sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back