1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New onboard, disappointed

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Blinxat, May 12, 2018.
  1. Blinxat
    Hi,

I recently built a new PC with AMD Ryzen 2700X on a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon board. It was advertised as Alc1220 with amp and all the bells and whistles. .

Turns out it is firstly only half as loud as my old gigabyte mobo and the treble above 10khz is smoothed off entirely. I turned off all the sound effects but it doesn't help.

My DT770 is supposed to be a little bright on top. With this MSI board you don't notice it.

On most other sources I have to EQ it down not up.

Also even giving 16khz +12db makes almost zero difference.

on my old mobo that would be ear piercing bright.

so I guess I need a solution with neutral response!

Do you guys think the Creative AE5 card would be a good choice?

Or what other dac amp would be recommended up to 200€

2. selvakumar
  3. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Have you updated the audio drivers for your motherboard?
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64

I'm guessing your old motherboard's on-board audio, output more voltage to the headphone jack, then your new motherboard.

With 200 Euros, i would be looking at replacing the DT770, before looking at getting a sound card or external DAC/amp.
    After buying new headphones, sell off the DT770, then see how much your willing to budget for a sound card.
    If your a big fan of your DT770, maybe just buy a used (60-70 Euros?) Sound Blaster Z sound card.

4. Blinxat
    I bought an obscure dac/amp that has never been on head-fi, will report back when I get it.

Realtek or Nahimic newest drivers don't make a difference, it is still smoothed off.

5. FunkeXMix
    Several mobos don't amp the back of the computers audiojack. Have you tried both front and back to see if there is a different result?