New onboard, disappointed

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Blinxat, May 12, 2018.
  1. Blinxat
    Hi,

I recently built a new PC with AMD Ryzen 2700X on a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon board. It was advertised as Alc1220 with amp and all the bells and whistles. .

Turns out it is firstly only half as loud as my old gigabyte mobo and the treble above 10khz is smoothed off entirely. I turned off all the sound effects but it doesn't help.

My DT770 is supposed to be a little bright on top. With this MSI board you don't notice it.

On most other sources I have to EQ it down not up.

Also even giving 16khz +12db makes almost zero difference.

on my old mobo that would be ear piercing bright.

so I guess I need a solution with neutral response!

Do you guys think the Creative AE5 card would be a good choice?

Or what other dac amp would be recommended up to 200€

2. selvakumar
  3. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Have you updated the audio drivers for your motherboard?
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64

I'm guessing your old motherboard's on-board audio, output more voltage to the headphone jack, then your new motherboard.

With 200 Euros, i would be looking at replacing the DT770, before looking at getting a sound card or external DAC/amp.
    After buying new headphones, sell off the DT770, then see how much your willing to budget for a sound card.
    If your a big fan of your DT770, maybe just buy a used (60-70 Euros?) Sound Blaster Z sound card.

4. Blinxat
    I bought an obscure dac/amp that has never been on head-fi, will report back when I get it.

Realtek or Nahimic newest drivers don't make a difference, it is still smoothed off.

5. FunkeXMix
    Several mobos don't amp the back of the computers audiojack. Have you tried both front and back to see if there is a different result?