New Nvidia handheld android gaming device... will this crash and burn?
Feb 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 22
Doesn't matter if something is a good concept. Many good concepts disappear because the market just doesn't embrace them. Having people ditch tried and true gaming means to saddle up with something that has no sense of brand relevancy is a mostly impossible task. 

Even when something is an exact iteration, such as the Sega Dreamcast, it still fails. Even when something is superior hardware, such as Jaguar, it still fails. The long standing relationship with developers, as well as name recognition and sense of relevancy in ownership, are the most important factors. 

Microsoft managed to insert itself in the market by going toe to toe on hardware, offering its own exclusives, all while still having developers cross platform. Oh, yeah, and a little thing called a lot of money.

With all the other available options out there, I don't see this item taking enough market share to establish itself.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 22
In my opinion, I am a little worried about streaming of games from PC. I am an avid FPS gamer, and there might be input lag issues. Fighting games might be affected as well, I just hope they will make sure this problem doesn't crop up in the final release 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 22
Necrobump alert!! Nvidia dropped the price to $200! For that price I can say this thing is a superb deal. If downgraded to jellybean it is the perfect portable emulation rig. It has decent android support as well (Gameloft and Rockstar for example). Going into audio, this may actually drive better than the Galaxy X5! (And easily outdrive the iTouch 4). It's also built like a tank.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 22
Why when for $100 more you can get the tablet version . That's why I came here to see what anyone was saying about using the new tablet version as a source for audio. I'm using an aging Nexus 7 original and it's annoying me with lag constantly.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 22
The new tablet iteration might get me into streaming games. I'm putting together a GRID system for another use, and am planning to add a gaming capability down the line. I use Nexus 7's as my beater tabs right now, the Shield might be a worthy replacement for this reason. Android (nor iOS) games don't interest me much, but it just depends on how well I can play anything intended for the PC on an 8" screen I guess... though I really envisage games streaming being worthwhile on my laptops / 'proper' tablets than Android/iOS hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back