New NOS DAC from Metrum- OCTAVE MK11
Sep 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #31 of 61
That is none oversampling, same thing (Audio Note).

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #33 of 61
Hey everyone,

First, let me share this:  Via email, Cees Ruijtenberg has advised me to leave my just-purchased Octave MkII turned on (with no need to play music through it) for a period of two weeks.

He has also suggested that I find a headphone amp that has "low or no feedback." 

Question to anyone:  Other than asking the manufacturers, how can I tell if an amp has "low or no feedback?"

Thanks!

Mike

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #38 of 61
Quoting HiFiHeaven's page for the Aurix:

Because feedback has not been implemented in the design, the Aurix has no degradation of the incoming signal in terms of dynamics and imaging.

I guess that's why no feedback is a good thing...

That amp could be the ticket as an HD800 solution, but I'll wait for a consensus opinion...   (Could be a long wait...)

Quoting page 5 of the 6Moons review (which is one of Srajan Ebaen's least obtuse writings):

... Aurix probably isn't Ruijtenberg's ultimate statement on the subject. He'd probably spend a chunk more on his headfi Hex. But like the non-oversampling Octave with on-chip I/V conversion and no conventional output stage but a very solid power supply, Aurix demonstrates how proper engineering guided by clearly good ears can cut right through the crap and deliver advanced sonics with minimal fuss: purist circuitry without any of the hair-shirt wonkiness which can sometimes accompany the minimalist approach. Here it simply means starting with the best source you can muster, then 'direct-coupling' to it this properly buffered volume control which terminates in a ¼" jack and adds an optional 10dB of passive voltage gain (which you're rather unlikely to need particularly off a 4V or higher modern DAC).

Mike

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #42 of 61
Your experiences with the Octave/hd800 combination pretty much echo my experiences with the Hex/Stax combination. Pretty much ended my search for a suitable DAC to pair with electrostatics. Highly recommended.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #43 of 61
  Your experiences with the Octave/hd800 combination pretty much echo my experiences with the Hex/Stax combination. Pretty much ended my search for a suitable DAC to pair with electrostatics. Highly recommended.

^ I'm with you Frank. 
redface.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #45 of 61

My very first head-fi post - though I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the really helpful (as well as interesting) comments posted on these boards for some time now. Please do bear with my newbie questions... :)

Current basic gear = PC USB > TEAC UD-501 > HD800 (stock).

Had splurged on the Senns in spite of limited funds as reckon this reference level piece of equipment may be good enough to appreciate incremental upgrades along the chain as my budget permits over time :)

Anyway think I'm about ready to take the plunge & next step in the never-ending search for our sonic Holy Grail! :D

Hard to find one to audition, but from following everyone's feedback here, I'm leaning towards picking up an Octave MK II for its relatively low "listening fatigue" factor and reportedly decent match with the HD800s. A bit pricey for my pockets @ $1400 out here in the States, but sounds like a bang-for-the-bucks R2R DAC that my ears would welcome over the Sigma-Delta signature of the TEAC, and something which I could enjoy for a long while before upgraditis strikes once again hehe. 

Did seriously consider Audio-GD's very affordable PCM1704-based DAC-19 (10th Anniversary Edition) which would be a cheaper fall-back option, but feel the Octave would be superior in most key areas when coupled with the Senn flagship perhaps?

Also looking at an Aurix to go along with the Octave II, but this combo does go over my intended budget by more than a bit. Thinking a compromise may lie with an Audio-GD C-2 Class A head amp, however don't know how much of a step down or sideways going that route would entail...  Basically looking for a reasonably priced single-ended zero feedback (Class A would also help) discrete amp to complement the Octave and improve on the sonics of the MUSES op amps which are in my UD-501.  Unfortunately the limiting factor as always is a rather tight budget :p

Well would happily welcome any and all opinions on these prospective selections!

Want to stay with SS for now as a relatively tight & dynamic bass presentation is a listening preference of mine, though not a primary pre-condition by any means. Main criteria remains being able to enjoy an organic reproduction of the music over an extended listening period (happen to be particularly fussy when it comes to vocals of the female variety), can readily live with sacrificing the nth degree of micro detail & air in return for non-stridency in the vocals.

Anyway hope the clumsy verbosity of this post hasn't put you to sleep or irritated too many here lol  Thanks very much for your patience  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back