New Nikon glass
Mar 17, 2006 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ordered the 12-24mm DX Nikon lens. Can't wait to get it.
Anyone out there who owns one and can tell me how much I'm going to love/hate it?
Thx,
CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
I can't really help you on that one, but on a somewhat related note, the lenses in my eyeglasses are made by Nikon...

And you said you couldn't help.
biggrin.gif

CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
SWEET. I don't own one, but I've seen very good results from that lens. How much did that 12-24 cost you?

Say, ever get a chance to try that new 18-200VR?

$879.00 plus s/h (EBAY: my local store wouldn't go under $1030 + tax;whatever).
No on the 18-200. I'll buy one once they're no longer the FOTM and impossible to get at list price. What a great lens for a single lens solution.
CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
$879.00 plus s/h (EBAY: my local store wouldn't go under $1030 + tax;whatever).
CPW

Ouch.

And I thought the $800 Pentax Limited 31mm f/1.8 lense was pricey.

It's such a beautiful lens, but considering I have a $300 35mm f/2 lens on my Pentax *ist DS, I don't think the $500 increase in price is worth the one extra stop, and I'm skeptical of how much increase in sharpness and smoother bokeh it will get me.

Yeah, If I'm going to drop nearly $1K on a lense, I'd like it to be an "all in one". But so far I'm content with zooming with my feet.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I just ordered the 12-24mm DX Nikon lens. Anyone out there who owns one and can tell me how much I'm going to love/hate it?

If you are at all like me in optical tastes and photographic applications, you are going to be very happy with this lense. I'm using mine on a D70 at present. Extends down from the normal street tele range, operates flawlessly within the Nikon system, and provides wide angle performance just short of fisheye. While I do everything from general to technical still photography (as situations demand), my preferences are for what falls within nature and landscape and this lense was a perfect compliment to the wide angle end of these areas. If you use flash, you will probably be in the market for something with wider coverage (I'm using an SB600). Hope this helps.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
If you use flash, you will probably be in the market for something with wider coverage (I'm using an SB600). Hope this helps.

I'm using an SB80X flash and a D100 body. Not sure if that'll be wide enough or not.
I also have a 24-85mm G lens and an F80 body for film. Got rid of all my other Nikon gear (FE2, bag full of primes, etc). I've actually read great reports on the 18-200mm VR lens. I've learned to trust Nikon's zoom optics where I used to be a prime snob. I'ts nice to carry less!
CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I'ts nice to carry less!

Yup. I'm down to three zooms, a macro, and a teleconverter and I have yet to come into a situation where I wanted any more/other glass. The VR on the 70-200 really works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back