New Nikon D40
Nov 15, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
(3) The body's too small. Looks like a Canon for goodness sake. The main REASON I went Nikon is because the Canon bodies felt too small in my hands.

Did you try the 10D, 20D or 30D ?

The Rebel XT/XTi are small but the 30D are bigger and fit much better in the hand. Besides you can get a vertical grip for both as well.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

At the end of the day, picture quality is about 65% user, 30% glass, and only 5% sensor.

At the end of the day, you need to have the glass to support the denser/better sensor, for great images. I get that you don't like the D40; keep in mind that Nikon keeps pushing the higher end sensors into the less expensive bodies for a better consumer experience. I believe this philosophy is to be commended. Not changing a lens mount and allowing "legacy" lens owners to use their glass is to be commended. Lastly, if you want to improve your sensor/lens combination, you just get a better lens - that's a worthwhile upgrade that is always available to the user.

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #18 of 43
With the way people are whining about this camera over on dpreview, you'd think they were expecting a D2Xs replacement for under $500. It's an addition to the Nikon line, not a D50 or D70s replacement.

People will get the D50, D70s, D80, D200, D2Hs or D2Xs if the D40 isn't advanced enough for them.

This is a camera that is marketed towards the P&S crowd who will get along just fine with a kit lens, so non-AF-S lens compatibility is a non-issue. It's still going to power up faster and focus more quickly than their former P&S cam, have a more powerful flash, better ergonomics, and better optics, so the advantage of the SLR is still there.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
With the way people are whining about this camera over on dpreview, you'd think they were expecting a D2Xs replacement for under $500. It's an addition to the Nikon line, not a D50 or D70s replacement.

People will get the D50, D70s, D80, D200, D2Hs or D2Xs if the D40 isn't advanced enough for them.

This is a camera that is marketed towards the P&S crowd who will get along just fine with a kit lens, so non-AF-S lens compatibility is a non-issue. It's still going to power up faster and focus more quickly than their former P&S cam, have a more powerful flash, better ergonomics, and better optics, so the advantage of the SLR is still there.

Couldn't agree more.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
At the end of the day, you need to have the glass to support the denser/better sensor, for great images. I get that you don't like the D40; keep in mind that Nikon keeps pushing the higher end sensors into the less expensive bodies for a better consumer experience. I believe this philosophy is to be commended. Not changing a lens mount and allowing "legacy" lens owners to use their glass is to be commended. Lastly, if you want to improve your sensor/lens combination, you just get a better lens - that's a worthwhile upgrade that is always available to the user.

Except that the D40 destroys compatibility with more than 60% of Nikkor's lens line by not having the screwdriver motor, so that entire advantage is gone.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 43
I dont get why this camera wont be able to do the AF-S Nikkors. If it misses the screwdriver motor how will it be able to focus?I thought all Nikkors needed that motor to focus.
blink.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Except that the D40 destroys compatibility with more than 60% of Nikkor's lens line by not having the screwdriver motor, so that entire advantage is gone.

OK, so it's not for you and me. Let them try to compete for the PS market, which I think is ridiculous. I seriously doubt there'll be any AF-S primes, it just a segregation of the market - if you want primes, get $1000 body

Good for you, Canon

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
OK, so it's not for you and me. Let them try to compete for the PS market, which I think is ridiculous. I seriously doubt there'll be any AF-S primes, it just a segregation of the market - if you want primes, get $1000 body

Good for you, Canon

If you want primes, pay $100 more for the D50 (a $500 body). D40 buyers aren't going to want primes anyway. It's a camera for the super-zoom kit lens crowd.

And there are AF-S primes in the Nikkor range. The 105VR to name one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
I dont get why this camera wont be able to do the AF-S Nikkors. If it misses the screwdriver motor how will it be able to focus?I thought all Nikkors needed that motor to focus.

Actually, the D40 will only work with AF-S lenses, because the auto focus motor is built into the lens.

Quote:

BUY. THE. D50. INSTEAD.

For what is likely to be a $100 difference or less, I don't see what the big deal is. What is the likelihood of a D40 buyer having (or wanting) an inventory of older Nikkor lenses?

Even the kit lens that will be offered with the D40 is going to be of higher quality than that of a P&S. Again, what about faster power up and auto focus? The advantage is still there.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

The D50's been discontinued. That's what makes this such a backwards move.

Oh, and I already own one.

Exactly! Rockwell said the D50 will be in stock at most stores for only another 9 months or less. Some stores like CC already are closing them out
rolleyes.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

The D50's been discontinued. That's what makes this such a backwards move.

Oh, and I already own one.

Nine months is a long time in digital cameras. I can't see the D70s being discontinued until there is a replacement in that price range. Still an affordable camera as far as DSLRs are concerned.

Eh, I'm just not worried about Nikon's product marketing at this point.

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
BUY. THE. D50. INSTEAD.

Sorry, I won't - for me the viewfinder is a deal-breaker. I'm not paying a grand for D80 body, nor I'm getting D50 to look thru a pinhole. If my wife wasn't a Nikon fanatic, I'd be long gone with Canon instead.

I'll keep shooting film for outdoors and candids, and Canon A510 in my pocket for everythig else.

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 43
Why in the world would they be replacing the D50 with an inferior D40? The only advantage the D40 has is its LCD (and size/weight to some).

Now I shall be placing my order for a D50 (with a nikkor 18-70 and a nikkor 50/1.8D). Canons with decent lenses are too expensive for me to consider them and the Rebel XT... (unless someone can prove me wrong).

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych
Why in the world would they be replacing the D50 with an inferior D40? The only advantage the D40 has is its LCD (and size/weight to some).

Now I shall be placing my order for a D50 (with a nikkor 18-70 and a nikkor 50/1.8D). Canons with decent lenses are too expensive for me to consider them and the Rebel XT... (unless someone can prove me wrong).

The kit lens is a very capable lens, so is the 50mm 1.8 which is can be had for about $80. Check this guy's work out, taken nothing more than a Rebel XT with a Kit lens and a 50mm. The camera is just a tool, a good chef's food is nice is nott because he has nice pots and pans are expensive you know.

http://robertmekis.com/?kateg=photos&subkateg=landscape

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #30 of 43
I think this quote sums up what i feel about the D40.

Quote:

When Heinz re-badges ketchup or beans or whatever and reduces the ML down from 275ml to 225ml (or whatever) while keeping the same (or hiking) price, they get bad press.

Yet Nikon seems to have pulled the same downsizing trick and everyone thinks its the Second Coming.

I really don't get it!?!!

Why would anyone get a D40 when you can get the D50 CHEAPER is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back