New Nick Drake rarities collection coming
Mar 21, 2004 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
http://www.nme.com/news/107886.htm

As you know, his recorded output is slim, very few tapes/songs left in the vault at Island. Most of this stuff came out years ago on "Time of No Reply" which for reasons unknown was the only disc in his catalog that didn't get the remaster treatment-- the version in 4CD box set Fruit Tree I have is still the original version from 1986!

Oddly they've decided to trim a few songs from Time of No Reply, and add a few more, including "Tow the Line" apparently the last thing he recorded, which we can assume is on the home tape machine that a few of the songs on Time of No Reply were recorded with (very low quality). I don't understand why they felt it necessary to delete tracks from Time of No Reply, but here's the track list for I Was Made to Love Magic:

* Rider On The Wheel'
* 'Magic'
* 'River Man'
* 'Joey'
* 'Thoughts Of Mary Jane'
* 'Mayfair'
* 'Hanging On A Star'
* 'Three Hours'
* 'Clothes Of Sand'
* 'Voices'
* 'Time Of No Reply'
* 'Black Eyed Dog'
* 'Tow The Line'

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 6
hi Mark,
Thanks for the info. i also got the fruit tree box set with the rarities disc. i haven't check the track listings, but i think the rarities tracks that were in the box set, but not released in this new disc, are in the 'Way to Blue: An Introduction to Nick Drake' disc.

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't know if it's just me, but this kind of feels like a money grab by the studio. One new track and some alternative takes doesn't seem like much.

Of course this won't most likely stop me from buying it. I'm a bit too much of a fan for that...

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm all for adding as many tracks as they have, but what miffs me is that they've actually removed several tracks from the previous odds 'n ends collection, Time of No Reply. I'm glad they are releasing this material in remastered form, so on that basis alone, it's worth it to me, but I don't see the reason for ommitting those tracks.
frown.gif

Problem with Drake's catalog is that, outside of a number of widely bootlegged home taped (really crummy sound) early stuff he did at his parents house, there's nothing in the Island vaults outside of this material. There were very few extra takes, and almost no unusaed tracks from any of his albums, so as slim as this comp may look, that's essentially all there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back