New Nanos=Less Volume???
Oct 3, 2006 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Is this true? for the 4 gig model too? How about the 80 gig ipod? Is the volume less on this one also? Whats the world coming to???

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 24
aaaaarghhh! It would be a dumb move to lower the volume level. Maybe they should have a limiter on by default but still should make the user able to turn the darn thing off

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 24
Well on the first gen Nano, they introduced a volume limiter 2 firmware revisions ago. It's located in main menu, settings, volume limit. You might want to check your settings and see if there is a volume limiter and that it isn't set to low, when I did the firmware flash my volume max was set to half volume.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 24
Yes there is a limiter. It first went on in Europe and has been in the U.S. version for a number of upgrades. There is a de-limiter hack to be found on the internet (I did a quick search and did not find it, but it is there).

Not to sound like your mother, but be careful with the volume. I have a friend with Tinnitus and it's a LIVING HELL!

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 24
there is also a completely different battery inside.

25.jpg

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPo...te-Disassembly

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 24
I could tell from the demos at the apple store that the 60g iPod was significantly louder than the 2nd gen nano (all versions) using the same non-powered bose headphones. Should not be an issue for line-out at the dock connector though.

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 24
I thnk the sound from my 2d gen Nano sounds better than gen 1 and I don't notice any loudness differences, minor if any.

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 24
donunus say:
Quote:

are you talking about the gopod software as a hack?

Yes and that is what I was thinking about.

ps: A "hack" has no positive or negative connotation.

Spyro says:
Quote:

I figured that was a ploy to extend battery life like, with PCDP's.

No, for the most part it is meant to forestall a lawsuit.

ChicagoNB says:
Quote:

I don't notice any loudness differences, minor if any.

I believe the answer is Yes. Apple says: "The 1.1.1 software update for iPod nano and Fifth Generation iPod provides an easy way for you to set a maximum volume limit to prevent the volume from exceeding a certain level."

SEE: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303414

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 24
Don't know about the new Nano's or 7.whatever iTunes software but my wife's 4gig Nano that is a year old has a volume limiter setting. I just set it, all the way up.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 24
Just a quick story on volume: I am at my university (UNT), sitting in the auditorium waiting for class to begin (keep in mind this is about a 300-seat class I guess) and down at the bottom some guy walks in to class (I am sitting a few rows up) with his ipod and music blaring. He has to be 50 feet from my position when it sounds like he is sitting next to me. He is using the stock buds and it sounds as if he just walked in with a boom box on his shoulder (well, we know stock ipod buds aint gonna sound like that but you get my point). I couldn't believe it, that dude is going to be deaf by 30. Is it that important to listen to your music that loud when your speakers are literally an inch from your eardrums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back