NEW: NAIM Uniti Core Music Server
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
naim-uniti-core-description-01.jpg

Uniti Core is the ultimate music manager, able to create bit-perfect copies of your favourite CDs and serve them and the rest of your digital music collection up to music players around your home. Simply load a CD and Uniti Core will expertly rip and catalogue your music. Choose from a range of internal and external storage options for your new digital library. Uniti Core is the perfect music-server partner not just for the Uniti Atom, Uniti Star and Uniti Nova players, but many other music-streaming players, speaker or systems, from Naim and beyond. It can stream to up to 12 different players at once. As well as being a sleek music archivist and server, Uniti Core can also act as a superb music source. Award-winning performance combines with excellent build quality and usability, wrapped in a beautiful British design that will give you years of entertainment. Master the Uniti Core and explore a world of music via the Naim App.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 12
naim-uniti-core-description-01.jpg

Uniti Core is the ultimate music manager, able to create bit-perfect copies of your favourite CDs and serve them and the rest of your digital music collection up to music players around your home. Simply load a CD and Uniti Core will expertly rip and catalogue your music. Choose from a range of internal and external storage options for your new digital library. Uniti Core is the perfect music-server partner not just for the Uniti Atom, Uniti Star and Uniti Nova players, but many other music-streaming players, speaker or systems, from Naim and beyond. It can stream to up to 12 different players at once. As well as being a sleek music archivist and server, Uniti Core can also act as a superb music source. Award-winning performance combines with excellent build quality and usability, wrapped in a beautiful British design that will give you years of entertainment. Master the Uniti Core and explore a world of music via the Naim App.

Whoa!

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 12
I would love to do a review on that!

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 12
And my ten years old , 2011 Macbook Pro laptop can playback native 32/768khz files.

Why are so many VERY expensive streamers still limited to 24/384 or even lower rates?

Moreover, my mbp also has a BIG 17" screen and works pretty well both as a computer and DVD player too.
And I have never had any problem ripping cds with it either.
This NEW thing costs about as much as my mbp did new, and doesn´t work as a computer for more than one thing, playback files.
Well I guess it is at least not as much of a rip off as some others.
Multi room? I stay in one and the same room when playing music, I have no need whatsoever of streaming in 12 rooms or from 12 sources or whatever Naim is boasting about here.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 12
And my ten years old , 2011 Macbook Pro laptop can playback native 32/768khz files.

Why are so many VERY expensive streamers still limited to 24/384 or even lower rates?

Moreover, my mbp also has a BIG 17" screen and works pretty well both as a computer and DVD player too.
This NEW thing costs about as much as my mbp did new, and doesn´t work as a computer for more than one thing, playback files.
Multi room? I stay in one and the same room when playing music, I have no need whatsoever of streaming in 12 rooms or from 12 sources or whatever Naim is boasting about here.
Cheers CC
You’d be surprised by the difference in sound quality between a laptop and some of these streamers and servers. Whether it’s worth it is a personal question. 24/384 shouldn’t be seen as a limiting factor given that relatively little material is recorded at those rates. Most well recorded classical music that I can think of is recorded at 24/192. There are some exception where 24/384 is the case. Those albums are few though. You can always go with DSD if your prefer even higher. At this point, 32/768 seems more like a future proof design rather than a practical feature. My Chord Dave can handle those rates but mainly when used with the M Scaler to upscale cd quality or high res files.

p.s.

One of the main appeals of this device aside from its server functionality is that you can insert a cd and let it handle the whole process without your involvement. It saves time, which is certainly valuable and limited.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 12
You’d be surprised by the difference in sound quality between a laptop and some of these streamers and servers. Whether it’s worth it is a personal question. 24/384 shouldn’t be seen as a limiting factor given that relatively little material is recorded at those rates. Most well recorded classical music that I can think of is recorded at 24/192. There are some exception where 24/384 is the case. Those albums are few though. You can always go with DSD if your prefer even higher. At this point, 32/768 seems more like a future proof design rather than a practical feature. My Chord Dave can handle those rates but mainly when used with the M Scaler to upscale cd quality or high res files.

p.s.

One of the main appeals of this device aside from its server functionality is that you can insert a cd and let it handle the whole process without your involvement. It saves time, which is certainly valuable and limited.
Except who uses CDs these days? We’re all in the digital age. There are even high-resolution digital tracks available.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Except who uses CDs these days? We’re all in the digital age. There are even high-resolution digital tracks available.
Some people still have sizable cd collections that this device would make very easy to rip. Certainly it would be a lot faster than using a laptop. With a quality CD player, sound quality can often beat streaming services and their high resolution offerings. Most of my offline collection are high resolution files with perhaps 1000 albums still in cd quality. They sound quite satisfying.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12

Cheers CC
Lots of people are sick and tired of looking at and interacting with laptops all day. Personally i wouldn't want one in sight when i'm listening to music. It would be like going to the office for a picnic. :wink:

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 12

p.s.

Maybe you are right, but all recording sessions I have been to have used either laptops or ordinary PCs at the recording sessions. And there are music players for computer playback that optimise them for exactly that.
And all streamers are basically just computers.
But computers that in many respects are very limited in what they can do compared to basically any modern pc or mac.

I have to admit my experience of dedicated Streamers is limited to a few auditions of Innous streamers.

But I was not very impressed by what I heard ripping the cd layer of one of my reference recordings where I have a direct reference to how the music sounded live in the hall at the actual recordings sessions. And how close to that it can sound via a good SACD player or as native DSD file via Chord Mscaler, and also upsampled to 24/705 or 32/768 pcm via the new software upsampling PGGB,
In both cases Mscaler and PGGB, the 24/705 upsampling of the native recording sounds WAY more realistic than the Innous did playing the cd rip.
That sounded like cd normally does to me ,ie not very good.

I play play lots of native hi res, but also quite a lot of cds and my best results with cds come from either Chord Mscaler and optical out from a good cd transport or recently the software based PGGB upsampled cd rip to 32/768khz and my mbp via usb.

And yes the cd ripped on my mbp and played via usb out from my mbp as PGGB upsampled is possibly the best SQ I have yet heard from any 16/44.1 pcm recording.
Basically like playing a 24/96 hi res recording in my systems both via headphones HD 800 and HEKV2 and my electrostatic speakers.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 12
Lots of people are sick and tired of looking at and interacting with laptops all day. Personally i wouldn't want one in sight when i'm listening to music. It would be like going to the office for a picnic. :wink:
I agree when it comes to some recent Opera productions where one had to watch singers operating laptops on stage in say a Verdi Opera in yet another stupid attempt to make Opera more up to date.
That makes me SICK too.

But if the cover of an album is nice to watch I have no problem keeping it visible on my 17" mbp or 27" iMac while listening.
Cheers CC

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Maybe you are right, but all recording sessions I have been to have used either laptops or ordinary PCs at the recording sessions. And there are music players for computer playback that optimise them for exactly that.
And all streamers are basically just computers.
But computers that in many respects are very limited in what they can do compared to basically any modern pc or mac.

I have to admit my experience of dedicated Streamers is limited to a few auditions of Innous streamers.

But I was not very impressed by what I heard ripping the cd layer of one of my reference recordings where I have a direct reference to how the music sounded live in the hall at the actual recordings sessions. And how close to that it can sound via a good SACD player or as native DSD file via Chord Mscaler, and also upsampled to 24/705 or 32/768 pcm via the new software upsampling PGGB,
In both cases Mscaler and PGGB, the 24/705 upsampling of the native recording sounds WAY more realistic than the Innous did playing the cd rip.
That sounded like cd normally does to me ,ie not very good.

I play play lots of native hi res, but also quite a lot of cds and my best results with cds come from either Chord Mscaler and optical out from a good cd transport or recently the software based PGGB upsampled cd rip to 32/768khz and my mbp via usb.

And yes the cd ripped on my mbp and played via usb out from my mbp as PGGB upsampled is possibly the best SQ I have yet heard from any 16/44.1 pcm recording.
Basically like playing a 24/96 hi res recording in my systems both via headphones HD 800 and HEKV2 and my electrostatic speakers.

Cheers CC
We seem to agree on more than disagree. While it is true that streamers and servers are at their essence just computers, they are designed and optimized for that particular task in contrast to consumer or even pro laptops. Sure, there are software based players and that do make a difference but in my experience they won’t best a dedicated streamer from say Naim or Linn.

Innuos is an interesting manufacturer but in my experience their product starts to make a worthwhile difference in the Zenith line. They need to develop their own control app to make their stuff attractive. iPeng is not that great. Roon degrades their sound and costs too much for what it is.

The M Scaler with Dave will make just about anything sound fantastic. I’m waiting for my M Scaler to be delivered this month. With regard to your comment regarding Innuos and the M Scaler, it is not surprising at all that you didn’t think it sounded as good. In my experience it added a bit of depth to the soundstage and made it a little more 3D if that makes sense. At the end of the day it’s just a source while the M Scaler truly transforms what’s fed into it. I’m thinking of auditioning one to use purely as a server with my Linn streamer. It might improve things which are already fantastic.

All the best

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Some people still have sizable cd collections that this device would make very easy to rip. Certainly it would be a lot faster than using a laptop. With a quality CD player, sound quality can often beat streaming services and their high resolution offerings. Most of my offline collection are high resolution files with perhaps 1000 albums still in cd quality. They sound quite satisfying.
Hi again, and if/when you get to hear your cd quality albums via Mscaler you may be quite surprised how much better they can sound than via Dave alone.

I started buying cds at thrift shops for 1-2 dollars each, and have bought more than 100 cds since getting my Mscaler.
Mscaler is transformative imho.

But if my early impressions of PGGB the new upscaling software where one can feed a Chord dac or others that can play 24/705 or 32/768khz files ,pre upscaled files, are correct,there could be a cheaper way of getting similar end results to mscaler for those with a capable pc or mac.

But very few Servers/ Streamers can cope with such pre- upscaled files.

The only one I am aware of is the Taiko Extreme and I think it costs around 5-6 times as much as the Naim Uniti.
But any decent pc or mac laptop with a musicplayer like Audirvana, Jriver or Pure Music , to name a few can easily play 32/768.
And like Mscaler the SQ difference over normal cd quality is equally obvious imho.

Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back