New mp3 player Help!
Jun 14, 2008 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chiger

New Head-Fier
Having a tough time deciding what to choose, I don't really have a price range, but I want to get something that I can buy at Best buy or future shop (Canada), reason being that I am moving out of the house on Monday so I can't order anything online. I was looking at Cowon D2, Sansa Fuze, and Zune 80gb. I need something with 8gb or more. Sound quality is most important and then video quality might factor in. Help is much appreciated, I've read a lot of threads, but still can't really decide.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 12
The Zune recently got a nice load of updates (including gapless playback), they look like a lovely choice and you'll appreciate the capacity. Also reportedly good SQ, maybe some Zune owners can chime in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a tough time deciding what to choose, I don't really have a price range, but I want to get something that I can buy at Best buy or future shop (Canada), reason being that I am moving out of the house on Monday so I can't order anything online. I was looking at Cowon D2, Sansa Fuze, and Zune 80gb. I need something with 8gb or more. Sound quality is most important and then video quality might factor in. Help is much appreciated, I've read a lot of threads, but still can't really decide.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 12
Zune 80 or Sony A728 are good choices for sound quality and video playback, the Fuze is crap in terms of video. I can vouch for the Zune 80 as a great sounding, high quality player.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 12
ok... so, sound quality + video... consider zune 80 and ipod, creative zen 32gb, archos family of pmp... there are lots of fuss sorrounding ipod sound quality, but in my experince they are quite good... since your criteria includes video, 30GB or higher is a must (IMO)...

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 12
No sorry if I made it sound like I wanted good video capabilities, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not I can watch videos, I just want something that has at least 8gb of space for some of my music and good sound quality since I will be out and about a lot.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

No sorry if I made it sound like I wanted good video capabilities, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not I can watch videos, I just want something that has at least 8gb of space for some of my music and good sound quality since I will be out and about a lot.

Then I'd recommend the Sansa Fuze or one of the Sony players, they're smaller than the Zune 80 and you don't have to worry about the issues associated with hard drives, if you don't need the extra space or bigger screen there's no reason to get the Zune. Between the Fuze and the Sony players, the Fuze does have the advantage of the being expandable, so if you ever decide you want to carry around more music, it's as easy as a new microSDHC card, rather than a new player. Also, FLAC & Ogg Vorbis are reportedly being added to the Fuze in a future firmware updates.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I'd recommend the Sansa Fuze or one of the Sony players, they're smaller than the Zune 80 and you don't have to worry about the issues associated with hard drives, if you don't need the extra space or bigger screen there's no reason to get the Zune.

Well, to be fair, the Zune 8gb is flash and could be an option. The Zune's don't have EQ which bothers me.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, to be fair, the Zune 8gb is flash and could be an option. The Zune's don't have EQ which bothers me.

I've heard the flash Zunes don't sound as good as the Zune 80's, I haven't heard one personally, but I know the Fuze is excellent and opinion on the Sony's as great sounding players seems fairly universal.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Fuze reminds me of the ipod with the wheel and clicking, but for the price hard to complain and expandable memory is always great,but I think I will go with the a728. BTW what are your thoughts on the D2? That was my first choice if I was able to get it at some stores here.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Fuze reminds me of the ipod with the wheel and clicking, but for the price hard to complain and expandable memory is always great,but I think I will go with the a728. BTW what are your thoughts on the D2? That was my first choice if I was able to get it at some stores here.

Thoughts on the D2.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Honestly, it doesn't seem like a good time to buy mp3 players. I just bought an ipod touch. I hate apple and itunes, but it was definitely worth it because of how cool the player is. However, I plan on only using it for about 4 years before I replace it. Nvidia has a new mobile chip coming out this fall that is supposed to deliver mind numbing awesomeness in all AV categories, including audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back