New Monster IEM's
Sep 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry if this is a repost but I just did a quick search and did not see any mention.
Just got an e-mail from Sound and Vision that made reference to a new Monster product (while I was reading the Monster Turbine thread. Is that a sign?
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway they are making a new high end set called the Turbine Pro. See more at:
Monster® Turbine™ PRO High Performance In-Ear Speakers™

FYI.

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 8
Meh

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh

I only posted because the Turbines seem to have a fairly strong fan base. Although maybe Monster will be out of their league in this price category.

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Sep 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Sep 26, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I just saw them today on Monster's website. For $250, it's a hard place for Monster to compete in. I'm waiting for others to buy it and throw up a review on how it compares to other $250 phones.

If they ever drop $100.. I might consider them.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you can make your own in-ear monitors for a reasonable price. KA's modestly-priced BK series ($18/channel) make surprisingly good single-drivers. You can solder them to extension cable and pop the assembly into an earpiece and be good to go. For better HF, you can buy the TWFK ($52/channel), which will give you an instant dual. Or, if you want a three-way, you can put a CI-22955 and a TWFK together ($78/channel) and get something you can still hide in an earpiece. The soldering is a bear and you may decide, afterwards, that you want filters. You also need some kind of shell to hold all this, but the cost of doing it yourself is nothing like the cost of buying something manufactured commercially.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the crossovers already tuned to a nuetral frequency response? Is there a way I can tune the drivers to give me a nuetral response? Have you done this already ( build your own earphone )?

This is interesting...
tongue_smile.gif

I and some other enthusiasts have started a thread on the DIY board called DIY IEMs. There's a lot of information about how to create IEMs from the ground up as well as how to hack the ones you've already got. We've gotten into a lot of discussions about different issues, including how to design miniature crossovers with SMD capacitors and resistors. That discussion has included threads about the UM3X.

That said, you asked about tuning to a neutral frequency response. There's a lot of hype in this area, which multi-driver IEMs being marketed as coming with crossovers. Truth be told, much of this is blue smoke and mirrors. On many triple-driver earphones, the only crossover is attached to the dedicated tweeter. Mechanical crossovers (cloth filters) are used to limit the HF response of the dedicated "woofer." In truth, while some drivers are more useful as "woofers" and others work better as "tweeters," all of the drivers sold by Knowles Acoustics (the world's largest maker of drivers) are wide-range drivers. It's not as if we're talking about the loudspeaker market, where a woofer is a very different animal from a tweeter. There, you need crossovers to save the tweeter from getting blown by LF signals designed for woofers. It's also important there to limit how high the woofer goes unless you want your lyrics and dialogue to sound like they're being delivered by James Earl Jones with a chest cold.

Cloth filters do a pretty amazing job of filtering out HF. The white filters are good for taking the edge off some HF shrillness. The brown filters give you more warmth. The reds give you bass that's closer to throbbing. Beyond that, you're in overkill. The most important factor in delivering great bass is the seal. You need to keep the suspension tight; otherwise, your bass will leak out instead of rattling your eardrums. I don't know, offhand, what the UM3X crossover is set to but I like it a lot. To my ears, it's a very natural sound. I like the UM3X better than Westone 3, which is anathema to Westone 3 lovers, but I just like the neutrality of the UM3X better than that of the Westone 3, which is spicier in ways I don't need. I feel like the Westone 3 has a more emphatic EQ curve while the UM3X - warm as it may be - has more of a Mona Lisa smile.

But I don't mean to hijack the thread. It's just a thought. I should stop here. If you want to talk about it more, I suggest taking a look at the DIY IEMs thread. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back