New Monoprice Premium Headphones - #10243, #10244, #10245, #10246
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #61 of 97
Quote:
I didn't see any info posted about these headphones yet; sorry if this is a dupe.  Anyway, the links to the new headphones are:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=10243&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=10244&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082708&p_id=10245&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082708&p_id=10246&seq=1&format=2

Specs look pretty decent -- triple tweeters and a 50mm woofer in each earpiece.  I just ordered a pair of the black Bluetooth 'phones (which can be operated in wired mode also) so I'll post some feedback once I get a chance to give them a listen.

So has Monster and Dr. Dre already filed their lawsuits for copyright violations? Sheesh, they could at least tried to make them look a little different. Not a fan of bluetooth but if I was I'd probably give them a try for that price tho. Get them now before they are sued into the ground...

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #65 of 97
I finally got around to returning my (non-bluetooth) headphones today. It's really a shame, as the low end is nice and tight, the imaging seems quite precise, etc. There's just now upper end. They probably have 150 hours of burn in now, and there was no blosssoming of the highs. I kept A/Bing them with my Monoprice 8323, and reluctantly came to the conclusion there's just some design flaw in these. As you can see, I even tried them at a gig I played this weekend, as my in-ear cable went south at the last minute! They were just ok: great bass, but no highs, and fairly tubby midrange. The only thing I accomplished was upping my "nerd" quotient, LOL!!

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:
man, that is so disappointing. i am a big MP fan and have wished that they made "higher-end" headphones for a while since i tried their 8323's

It seems that no one has tried these through a headphone amp/dac in wired mode yet. They're high impedance, and no one has seemingly noticed it. The majority of people trying them are probably plugging into iphones.

I'm going to try tonight and see how it is. Judging a headphone through BT 3.0 isn't exactly the right way to go about it. SD card would be a good test too, as the headphone has a few built in EQ settings, and would run off the built in amp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #68 of 97
Quote:
It seems that no one has tried these through a headphone amp/dac in wired mode yet. They're high impedance, and no one has seemingly noticed it. The majority of people trying them are probably plugging into iphones.

I'm going to try tonight and see how it is. Judging a headphone through BT 3.0 isn't exactly the right way to go about it. SD card would be a good test too, as the headphone has a few built in EQ settings, and would run off the built in amp.

that's a good point. I would be curious to see if the amp makes a reasonable difference. Not to go off-topic here but do you know if there is a way to test your audio source to know what impedance it could adequately drive? I have tried some googling but apparently i don't know the right keywords. I am wondering if my laptop would be able to drive certain higher impedance phones without the need for an additional amp. half-volume can make my ears bleed on regular buds but I am not sure if this is necessarily related to audio quality and headphone impedance.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #69 of 97
You bring up a good point about the headphone amplifier. Note that we may be starting to talk about apples and oranges here, as the headphones I tried (and returned) are the non-bluetooth, hardwire only model. Supposedly the specs are the same as the BT headphones, but one never knows.

It's not necessarily a great headphone amplifier, but I did spend some time listening to my 10244s through my Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. Focusrite typically has somewhat decent DACs, and I still had the same disappointing results with these headphones, as from other sources.

I too am a huge MP fan, having purchased everything from computer and audio cables to tripods, to portable HDTV cart/stands, both for work and home. This is one of only a few times I've been disappointed in their product.

Tom 

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #71 of 97
         will someone please hook these things up to a decent amp.i think they would really benefit from one.i am going to withhold judgement until someone plugs an e11 or some other portable amp into these.i too am a big mp fan and have a hard time believing they dropped the ball on these.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #72 of 97
I just did, My Bluedio R+ version actually uses the built in headphone amp in wired mode, because I can hear it being double amped. I don't remember if the Monoprice one did, because the volume was extremely low on it directly wired.

These are basshead cans. There is a noticeable midrange dip to achieve it. Its so smooth, deep, and heavy though that its worth it as a fun pair to have.

On a cool note, you don't need a headphone amp with the R+, they get friggin loud on anything.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #74 of 97
I purchased the 10246 a few weeks ago and had some trouble with them (see previous post). The most important issue I had was sound. The bass was boomy and over bearing. Mids and Highs were not very good. Because of some other problems with BT connection and charging, I sent them back for a replacement. The new headphones are MUCH different. Bass is clear and not over powering. Mids and Highs are very good for a BT headphone. There is still an issue re-syncing with my Nano 7g, but because the sound is so good, I decided to keep them.

Brad.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #75 of 97
Quote:
I purchased the 10246 a few weeks ago and had some trouble with them (see previous post). The most important issue I had was sound. The bass was boomy and over bearing. Mids and Highs were not very good. Because of some other problems with BT connection and charging, I sent them back for a replacement. The new headphones are MUCH different. Bass is clear and not over powering. Mids and Highs are very good for a BT headphone. There is still an issue re-syncing with my Nano 7g, but because the sound is so good, I decided to keep them.

Brad.

They updated the model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back