New MONOPRICE Hi-Fi Over the Ear (12230)
Jan 17, 2016 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

glove4

100+ Head-Fier

These are only $50 from Monoprice right now, and what a steal they are. They are made for portable use including a removable cable with mic (for iDevices only, unfortunately), but represent an astonishing value for budget audiophiles. These are not billed as studio monitors per se, but they sure do sound like monitor headphones that punch way above their price. PCMag's review of them from last year states they can sound "thin" on some genres, which is largely accurate. These are not for bass lovers. They are quite close to neutral. I'd venture to say they come close to the MDR-7506 but without the deep bass punch. Bass sounds just about right for a neutral monitoring profile. The emphasis is on the mids and to a lesser extent treble. Treble has some shimmer but not in any way fatiguing. I'd say they capture 80% of sound profile of the 7506 minus the bass impact and "exciting" treble emphasis. Altogether, if you like your mids front and center with a just a touch of brightness that is not overly done, these are a steal. Business Insider named them one of the best headphones you could buy in 2015 for under $100. Another from Home Theater Review shows how surprised they were when compared with much more expensive options.

Comfort is top-notch for me. Lightweight without fatiguing pad pressure. And they come with a really nice case. 

If there is a complaint it is that they may require an amp to fully shine as they are not so efficiently driven by mobile devices, or at least my mobile devices, which include android phones. 

In conclusion, these are definitely a must-have reference headphone for budget audiophiles, if only to show how good you can do for as little as $50. 

Sorry, I'm clearly not good at taking pictures of headphones. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 7
Listening to these more last night with a few different albums yielded a couple of more observations: detailed and spacious. 

I listen to a lot of fast and complex metal, where lower quality headphones often fail to capture details making it all sound muddled and congested. These headphones, to my ears, do a fantastic job at instrument separation. Listening to the latest Dragonforce album, which is a great test of how a pair of headphones handles mids, I'm hearing some details I never even noticed before. Everything sounds spacious with a strong emphasis on bringing the intricate guitar leads and rapid fire picking to the fore. It is a very exciting listen for me considering I usually can't do headphones over $100. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 7
I just bought a pair of these for $29.99 and they are a great deal for the price.  
They have a very clean sound and have no glaring flaws, although they are definitely not for bass-heads
L3000.gif

I also have a pair of Monoprice 8323 which I also really really like.  Both of these are great bang for the buck!

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 7
These went out of stock this month and I signed up for a notice and just received an email saying they were discontinued (suggesting the 16150 as a replacement).  Maybe we'll get a proper replacement announced at CES?

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Check out my initial impressions of their new $30 over ear retro monitors. These are even better than the 12330 in my opinion. They amp up the sub bass that the 12330 seriously lacked and the mids are slightly recessed for a really powerful and exciting V shaped profile, different from the 12330.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/827601/monoprice-modern-retro-over-ear-headphones-new#post_13053839

Users who are viewing this thread

Back