New Monarchy NM24...
May 3, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
Monarchy, the maker of what is reported to be one of the best DAC's available at any price (the M24), has just released it's new NM24...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1183331367

Their new DAC has the same Class A tube hybrid DAC and tube hybrid line stage + a new SS DAC stage - to each his own.

Since it's so highly reviewed, I'm surprised there aren't more Headfiers that have heard / tried the M24 - perhaps only 2 or 3.

I'll soon know if it's all true - I ordered one. We'll see. But... I've got to believe that all the reviews / user comments I've seen on multiple forums are true.

May 3, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 77
i saw a used one with a black faceplate a few weeks ago for like 835 used for a few weeks. Judging by the zip code, new status and 10/10 rating, its straight from monarchy audio in south san francisco my old stomping grounds. I should go down there and pay them a visit, its only like 30 min away.

May 3, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 77
The M24 is heavily based on the Lite DAC50, I think, and the Lite DAC60 is an improved DAC50, and my DAC60 has had the sonicraft mods and it has a pair of $400 Amperex 6922 tubes. It sure does sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 77
Yup. I at first was bothered that I didn't get this instead since I bought my Monarchy M24 literally 2-3 weeks before this was rolled out. Thankfully at the meet Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio fame offered a prediction about this new offering. He said the reason the Monarchy M24 sounds so good is that the # of stages/steps between the DAC -> Output are very small so the chances of pollution from whatever is less. Adding complexity with the new DAC, unless done exactly right, could quite possibly result in a perhaps slight decrease in sound quality.

Of course neither of us have heard the new DAC so perhaps this is in the wrong, but I did appreciate Steve's input as it made me less annoyed that I bought right as an upgrade rolled out
smily_headphones1.gif
So for my peace of mind I'll believe that the new DAC is at best an equal to what I have
smily_headphones1.gif
Sadly, since I also believe that the people at Monarchy know their stuff as well, the new DAC is probably pretty sweet
smily_headphones1.gif
Also I might have misunderstood/misquoted what Steve said so take whatever I just wrote with a big grain of salt!

May 3, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 77
I wish there were more detailed internal pics of the new M24, but for all we know, the "solid state" stage may just be some simple op-amp output. In small pics, I don't think I see any sizable discrete output stage in there...

May 3, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M24 is heavily based on the Lite DAC50, I think, and the Lite DAC60 is an improved DAC50, and my DAC60 has had the sonicraft mods and it has a pair of $400 Amperex 6922 tubes. It sure does sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you really tell $380 worth of improvement over a pair of JAN Philips 6922's???

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 77
Any new comments?

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 77
Just that... from what I've read, and learned from Monarchy directly... the NM24 has, perhaps... "just a smidgen" more detail than the M24, yet withouth the cold, analytical sound of SS.

Apparently, they offer it for those who want to compare SS sound to tube sound, and those who may want to switch back and forth for different types of music - though, even the SS DAC has a bit of a warm tube sound, especially when routed through the tube line stage to your amp.

I still like the great sound of the M24, which has lots of detail, as well as the warm, organic... almost vinyl-like... sound provided by tubes - though, I am tempted to try the NM24, just to see how it compares.

Either model - offers "World Class" sound at an incredible value (see reviews).... even moreso, since it permits the listener to listen directly to the DAC or Line Stage via an inexpensive $7 RCA to 1/4 phone jack/plug adapter cable from Radio Shack, without a separate amp - the sound is virtually as good as that out of my DV332.

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 77
I guess you all know... there's a great one on the FS Forums right now, at a great price! I'd get it if I didn't already have one!

Incredible!

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by acrosounder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really interested in the m24. Can someone please post a link to this "FS Forums", or let me know how I could find it.
thankyou,
Krag Likins

Sorry... I should have posted it with my prior post...

It looks like its sold already.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...estage-293683/

But... you can watch www.audiogon.com/monarchy,

Or... you can just go to Monarchy Audio... and... email them to see if they've got any demos available at reduced prices.

By the way... those that have heard both the M24, and the newer NM24, suggest the M24 sounds better. So you may want to focus on the older M24, which has the silver face plate, and does not have the SS DAC in it.

Good luck...

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 77
Which are the best tubes for New M24?
Is the front panel always black in this new version? Is it possible to change it, if I get other front panel?

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 77
rajani, hi,

Look out for Bound For Sound issue #180, where the reviewer Martin DeWulf, who has spent a lot of time with the M24, samples many, many tubes. For the DAC section, he likes the JJ E88CC and regular Ei 6DJ8, among the cheaper tubes. I can personally vouch that the Ei 6DJ8 tubes are amazing. The JJ's are even better according to DeWulf, and are going to be easier to find now.

I am actually looking for some recommendations for tubes for the Pre-Out section. Last night, I just received the adapter from Monarchy so I can hook up my Senn 580s directly to the Pre-Out. Sounds great with my Sovtek 6922s, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any definite preferences in the pre-section.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 77
I really like the JAN Philips 6922s that come in it with my Senns - they brighten up the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back