New Momentum Over Ears or NAD HP50?
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

meringo

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought the new Momentums for $300, $50 off the current price. I find them to be very hit or miss... which is frustrating for a headphone in this price bracket. With that being said, they generally sound pretty good and look real sharp. Easily the best looking and most comfortable headphone I own.

I recently had the opportunity to get the NADs for $250, $50 less than what they go for. I'm still waiting for them to come in, and will directly compare. Odds are, I will like them better. I listen to a lot of rock and roll, hard rock, which seems to trouble the Momentums (bass is a bit too muddy, mid range disappears with faster paced music.) The NADs apparently take away some of that bloat, and have more of a mid-presence from what I've gathered online. 

Now for my big concern.... The NADs are hideous. They are rather large, plasticy looking, and nothing I would WANT to sport on my NYC commute every day. Never have I felt a need to complain about aesthetics, but these kind of cross that line. If they sound drastically better - I will consider. 

Why am I posing this question? There is little information and professional write ups on the new version of the Momentum. I never listened to/owned the previous version, and would like to see if anyone has had the opportunity to compare. The momentums are extra comfy, isolate well, and generally sound good.... should I not bother with the NADs? 

I have never seen the NADs in store, anywhere....

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 5
If you have spent much time here in the last 1 1/2 years or so, you should have read a great deal about the HP 50.  See also:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

You will likely be doing yourself a favor by giving them a try out.  From there it's up to you to decide the "winner".

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Maybe you would like the look of the PSB M4U 1 headphones better? Some people seem to prefer their sound over the HP50 (I have not heard the PSBs): http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-1-Headphones

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the thoughts!

I do prefer the look of the PSBs, but I could not get them for the same $200 price. I will update the post after some critical listening. They will arrive sometime next week.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Returning the Senns.

The NADs sound better than the senns on all levels, especially mids. much more present. They also don't look nearly as bad on my head as it does others.

other thoughts:
- standardized, detachable 3.5mm cable with the option to attach on either side
- Folds flat, no concern about portability (doesn't take up much more space in my bag then the senns did)
- surprisingly light weight

****UPDATE*****

Had to return 1st set over QC issues, there's a new Reddit thread discussing a lot of QC issues on the current Batches of NADs. Since the Senns where pretty good in their own right, and look/build wonderfully, I'm going to keep them instead.

But yes... NADs still sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back