New Mint build
Apr 2, 2005 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I finally finished my Mint...

I'd originally planned on some sort of wall wart, but in the end decided to go with battery power. I also added a ground channel, with the implementation pulled directly from the Pimeta design. I guess this makes the design more Pimeta than Mint...sort of a hybrid.

Component choices:
OPA627 for all three channels
BUF634 for all three channels, double-stacked on left/right channels
1000uf 25V Black Gates in the power supply
1uf Wima input caps
Alps Blue
Neutrik locking 1/4" jack
Cardas RCA's
Silver wire (0.80mm) with teflon tubing in the signal path
CRD's for biasing
Vishay-Dale resistors
Decided on a red LED...it just looked better with my enclosure.

Wiring was a chore, I must say...next time I'll buy PCB's. That said, I lucked out & wired it all up right the first time. The amp worked on the first power-up, but I encountered some ground buzz/hum. This ended up being a combination of poor interconnects & my failure to properly tighten the nuts on the backs of the RCA's. Once this was corrected, the amp ran fine.

Pics:
piccc5wj.jpg

dsc008564gh.jpg

dsc008528zv.jpg

dsc008547fh.jpg

dsc008533an.jpg

pppiiiccc0cj.jpg

I'll be interested to see what kind of battery life this thing gets...I'm kinda worried! I may yet end up adding some sort of AC supply, but we'll see.

Lastly, I wanted say thanks to the folks who helped with my questions in other threads.

Peace,

Graz

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 9
WOW! That is one good looking amp. You picked a beutiful enclosure. Great job!

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Very nicely done and rather artful. My version - mostly intended as a test bed - doesn't look nearly as neat.

I would think it more logical to double the BUF-634 count on the ground channel, rather than signal. I didn't do that in mine (single in all 3, using Senn HD600s), but wasn't looking at it as achieving the most critical sonics.

I did do the wall-wart (24VAC), along with an LM317 regulated PS (conventional National Semi manual-based configuration) to provide 16V bipolar (split via a virtual ground), on same Vector board as the amp circuitry. Mine doesn't use the OPA627s, compromising with OPA2134s (well, right now) instead. I'm saving the 627s for a M3 assembly.

Congrats on the initial startup - I had to spend 2 nights eliminating DC offset issues, ultimately found to be caused by a single wiring error.

Apr 2, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlDL
I would think it more logical to double the BUF-634 count on the ground channel, rather than signal. I didn't do that in mine (single in all 3, using Senn HD600s), but wasn't looking at it as achieving the most critical sonics.

Hmmm...I found this quote while digging around at tangentsoft in the pimeta tweaks section (specifically, this link here: http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta/tweaks.html):

"You might think stacking power supply buffers would help. After all, the benefits mentioned above should help the virtual ground as well, since this is where the amp's output currents return. For reasons I don't yet understand, though, stacked ground buffers don't seem to help much, if at all."

I might give it a try though & see if I can hear any difference. But I'm gonna let this thing burn in a while first...

Peace,

Graz

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 9
A MINT wired point to point?

*claps*

Looks nice!
I can't imagnie the rat's nest I would've ended up with with out the pcb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back