New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Jan 10, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #736 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrmph. So I soldered in the first tube socket and tried to insert the tube to test it out, I didn't want to push all that hard but it really didn't seem to want to go in....

Push a little harder.
wink.gif
These aren't delicate solid state parts. That said, however, it's why we recommend filling all the voids in the tube pin holes with solder. It's also why we state that the center of the board must be supported. There's a heckuva lot of stress put on those sockets and the board when plugging and unplugging tubes.

If you drilled out the socket pins and epoxied the socket halves to use the tube LED's (you must have with your LED sockets), then they will be extra-tough the first time you use them. You might even want to use an old tube, if you have one. That way, you can apply more force without worrying about the tube (use a cloth to grip the tube).

When doing the tube LED-thing, it's inevitable that some epoxy gets on the pins on the inside when you glue the socket halves back together. Not to worry - the first couple of times you plug and un-plug a tube, it will break the epoxy off of the pins, but not the ceramic. Things will get a little easier after that.
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #737 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Push a little harder.
wink.gif
These aren't delicate solid state parts. That said, however, it's why we recommend filling all the voids in the tube pin holes with solder. It's also why we state that the center of the board must be supported. There's a heckuva lot of stress put on those sockets and the board when plugging and unplugging tubes.

If you drilled out the socket pins and epoxied the socket halves to use the tube LED's (you must have with your LED sockets), then they will be extra-tough the first time you use them. You might even want to use an old tube, if you have one. That way, you can apply more force without worrying about the tube (use a cloth to grip the tube).

When doing the tube LED-thing, it's inevitable that some epoxy gets on the pins on the inside when you glue the socket halves back together. Not to worry - the first couple of times you plug and un-plug a tube, it will break the epoxy off of the pins, but not the ceramic. Things will get a little easier after that.
wink.gif

Gotcha. Yea, mine were drilled and epoxied so I'll wait till i have it all ready to go before I start pushing like hell
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, thanks to all of you guys for answering all my Q's as I've gone along. I really do appreciate it....

And on that note, another question.

I'm having a tough time figuring out which way QM1 should go in, any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #738 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a tough time figuring out which way QM1 should go in, any suggestions?

Millett Hybrid MiniMAX Relay-Delay

Bottom of the page
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #739 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Millett Hybrid MiniMAX Relay-Delay

Bottom of the page
smily_headphones1.gif

You would think, having graduated from law school a few years ago, I would be a wee bit more of an attentive reader
ksc75smile.gif
Guess not
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, thanks!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #741 of 1,948
I believe you are supposed to trim the metal tab on the pot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #745 of 1,948
You can still do it after you solder the pot in. You just have to make sure you hold the shaft very firmly with pliers so that any vibration/movement from the saw blade doesn't translate straight through to the pot itself.

I actually trimmed both of my pots after the amp was fully cased.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #746 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can still do it after you solder the pot in. You just have to make sure you hold the shaft very firmly with pliers so that any vibration/movement from the saw blade doesn't translate straight through to the pot itself.

Also, be sure you "baggie" the amp before doing this, so none of those nasty metal shavings/powder get inside and do damage.

I still prefer the Dremel to do this but you have to be very careful. The problem is that the pot shaft is such a soft metal that the cutting wheel will load up quickly with melted metal on it's surface. When that happens, it will bind and the Dremel's rpms will send it shooting off the shaft in either direction.

About the locator tab on the pot - rds is correct. That's the little hole to the left of the pot shaft hole on the front plate. It's up to you whether you trim the post on the pot, though, or slightly enlarge the hole in case it doesn't line up perfectly. As noted early on when the cases came in, there will be some variation in how your own soldering has located the headphone jack and pot in terms of the relative heights, frontplate holes vs. pot/jack.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #748 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(horror)

are you serious??

aren't you worried about stress on the part?

lately I've been taking the pots, brand new, then wrapping some shipping clear plastic tape (just stuff I had lying around the house) around all the parts that would matter except the metal shaft. THEN clamp the shaft in a vise and hacksaw that off. hopefully the pot won't go thru physical stress that much, that way.

then unwrap the tape and the pot should be good go to. or maybe file or sand the rough edge down before removing the tape.

seriously - even high end pots are not meant to be 'sawed on' while in place!!

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #749 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, be sure you "baggie" the amp before doing this, so none of those nasty metal shavings/powder get inside and do damage.

that was my use of clear packing tape
wink.gif

after I hacksawed a few pots and noticed that lotsa metal filings were all over the place, I later adopted the practice of wrapping things before sawing or painting or even some kinds of cleaning.

just like autobody guys that use lots of masking tape when painting, think the same idea here
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back