Meze EMPYREAN II
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #362 of 603
Ah gotcha, then for that I'd look for something super comfy and musical. If you can find them used, the OG Empy and the ZMF atrium would be what I would go for.
There is no headphone I have heard better for just sitting down and relaxing into music than the Atrium. It is super fun, relaxing, has great punchy bass with no bleed into the lower mids like the OG Empy has. Incredible mids and vocals (which I am a sucker for mids especially). It has been my most used headphone since I got it. I will grant that the OG Empy is much more comfortable than the Atrium. I can't say enough how comfy the Empy 1/2 are. Of course ultimately it is down to preference.

Empy 2 to me is considerably better than Empy 1 and surpasses the Elites too for me but I still prefer the Atrium and some other headphones more so far.

But yeah for $1500 looking for pure fun less detailed headphones Atrium would be my first choice and Empy 1 would be a good choice too.

I am probably going to buy an Empy 2 (One I currently have is borrowed from a friend). I want to keep my Empy 1 but after recent really unexpected costs due to me being sick and out of work since practically January 1st may have to reevaluate.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #363 of 603
I am probably going to buy an Empy 2 (One I currently have is borrowed from a friend). It sounds better than even the Elite does. I want to keep my Empy 1 but after recent really unexpected costs due to me being sick and out of work since practically January 1st may have to reevaluate.
Sorry to hear about you being sick, hope you get better soon. Yeah I'm also a fan of the Atriums. The Elites are my preferred flavor out of the Meze line since I am treble sensitive but honestly you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. These HP's are well liked and recommended for a reason. Glad to hear people are enjoying the Empy 2's!

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #364 of 603
Sorry to hear about you being sick, hope you get better soon. Yeah I'm also a fan of the Atriums. The Elites are my preferred flavor out of the Meze line since I am treble sensitive but honestly you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. These HP's are well liked and recommended for a reason. Glad to hear people are enjoying the Empy 2's!
Yeah the Empy 2s treble is a bit peaky and hot.
But I have an issue with the Elites treble above 8khz. It has too much there. I think ideally for me I would prefer Elites more relaxed treble below 8k with Empy 2s more relaxed upper treble (compared to Elites). Maybe Elite 2 if it happens will be the best of both worlds there.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #365 of 603
Atrium's look so beautiful. Do you have them in black or copper grill?
A bit steeper in price if I'm looking to get them from Europe. Will look at 2nd market.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #366 of 603
Also has anyone actually compare Empy II to He-1 I've too heard of this comparison. At some point will all the affiliations don't know who to look after anymore.
Also do you guys do you know if after Sendy Aiva (I quite like them) I will feel impressed by a next tier headphone or will I enter the point of diminishing returns?

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #368 of 603
Yeah the Empy 2s treble is a bit peaky and hot.
But I have an issue with the Elites treble above 8khz. It has too much there. I think ideally for me I would prefer Elites more relaxed treble below 8k with Empy 2s more relaxed upper treble (compared to Elites). Maybe Elite 2 if it happens will be the best of both worlds there.
I definitely understand. It really depends on which what type of treble you are sensitive too. I'm particularly sensitive to extra presence and peaks in the upper mids/lower treble, to me vocals can sometimes become harsh and sibilant, which is why I prefer the Elites over Empy 2. The peak in the upper treble of the Elites does not really bother me though. An Elite 2 with the treble character you spoke of while still maintaining the signature warm Meze tuning would be an instant buy from me.

I guess for folks considering either it would help to know what part of the FR response you are most sensitive too. I am not a EQ gal but if it's just a particular region and you like the overall tuning of Empy 2, I'd start by downshelving that area and seeing what you get. :)

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #369 of 603
Atrium's look so beautiful. Do you have them in black or copper grill?
A bit steeper in price if I'm looking to get them from Europe. Will look at 2nd market.
You can definitely glean more info about them from folks in the Atrium forum, got mine in stock cherry wood and black grills for the lighter weight. Good deals pop up in the classifieds occasionally if you're considering them.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #370 of 603
I definitely understand. It really depends on which what type of treble you are sensitive too. I'm particularly sensitive to extra presence and peaks in the upper mids/lower treble, to me vocals can sometimes become harsh and sibilant, which is why I prefer the Elites over Empy 2. The peak in the upper treble of the Elites does not really bother me though. An Elite 2 with the treble character you spoke of while still maintaining the signature warm Meze tuning would be an instant buy from me.

I guess for folks considering either it would help to know what part of the FR response you are most sensitive too. I am not a EQ gal but if it's just a particular region and you like the overall tuning of Empy 2, I'd start by downshelving that area and seeing what you get. :)
I feel you on the upper mids sensitivity. I don't like the LCD-5 for that reason. It has quite shouty upper mids. I don't like the HD600/650 for vocal stuff due to its shouty upper mids (to me). I don't tend to use my ZMF Caldera much due to its prominant upper mids and its hot treble. I tend to prefer most of ZMFs DD hp over it.

I do try to listen at low volume for most of my listening which helps for HP with hot treble.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #371 of 603
has anyone compared the empyrean 2 to the susvara and would like to share their impressions? i've auditioned the susvara a couple of times but the empyrean 2 isn't available to try around these parts just yet.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #372 of 603
has anyone compared the empyrean 2 to the susvara and would like to share their impressions? i've auditioned the susvara a couple of times but the empyrean 2 isn't available to try around these parts just yet.
Susvara is sonically superior as they're more resolving & colorful but the Empy 2 is not far behind and they're far more gear-friendly, which is all I could ask as a minimalist. As such I find that I use them more than the Sus especially for movies and for traveling, and IMO they're better for forgiving poorly recorded songs, for instance: classical & jazz albums from the '40s & '50s. I'd grade them an A+/S- but they don't wow me like a Stax X9000 or an HE-1.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #373 of 603
^ thanks. the susvara impressed but its amplification requirements are off-putting. the empyrean 2's superior build and efficiency makes it an attractive alternative. pleased to see that it's not too much of a compromise when it comes to sound quality.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #374 of 603
Hmm, to me, the Empy2 seemed to have more uneven treble, more treble peaks and dips resulting in a bit more graininess or harshness compared to the more even presentation of treble on the X9000, but our definitions of smoothness may differ. The X9000 is certainly a more forward and energetic headphone, which can play into it not sounding as smooth, particularly in the midrange.

Regarding the price, yes, the X9000 and the system needed to drive it are much more expensive. For me, the calculus changes significantly since I've been in estats for some time and I already have the necessary amps. And I also don't think the Empy 2 is bad and for people who liked the OG Empy sound but wanted more neutrality and clarity from it, the Empy 2 would do well. But I didn't find the Empy 2 to be compelling in the face of the X9000. The X9000 is very pricey, but its sound was also impressive enough to make it an aspirational object worthy of saving up the money to purchase.

In light of your comments, I went to listen to the Empy2 again this time using my playlist. I found that the treble was sibilant. Listening to Adele Easy on Me, each end note was quite peaky and harsh (not pleasant) which seems to align with what others have said e.g. @bunnygal23 below. I went back home and listened to my Clear and this was absent.

I am not a very analytical listener, so it helps when you highlight one area and I get to go back and focus on that aspect. Thanks for your reply!

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #375 of 603
In light of your comments, I went to listen to the Empy2 again this time using my playlist. I found that the treble was sibilant. Listening to Adele Easy on Me, each end note was quite peaky and harsh (not pleasant) which seems to align with what others have said e.g. @bunnygal23 below. I went back home and listened to my Clear and this was absent.
Yeah the vocals on Easy On Me are hot in some areas and is right on the edge of being too much (short bursts, if it would have been continuous it would be unlistenable). Checked with the Stellias and it's the same on them as well. Checked with the HD800s and no surprise there, it displayed the same discomfort. Since I obviously have nothing better to do I grabbed the HD650 of the shelf with the same result. So I'd say it's the mastering that is too hot for detailed headphones, the rest of the album seems fine (at least the tracks right after).

But that 6k peak is noticeable and for people sensitive to that region I can fully see that being too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back