Aug 12, 2020 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kunstkopf

New Head-Fier
Hi, my name is Timm. I live in Basel, Switzerland and I'm a fan of vintage audio, but also of more recent developments. As far as headphones are concerned I own an AKG K1000 and a Sony MDR-R10 I won in a raffle in the nineties. I would never have been able to afford its price. I'm running the AKG (and sometimes the Sony) with an SAC amp. That's the brand that originally manufactured the amplifiers that optionally came with the AKG K1000. I'm a great fan of dummy head stereo recordings, and from time to time I make my own using a pair of in-ear microphones from a one-man brand in Berlin called Soundman. I recently got to know Helmut Ryback and Heinz Renner from Mysphere, heard their headphones and am considering to buy a pair. So, I'm curious if any of you can share some experiences with these three models. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Timm and welcome to headfi. You have some unique headphones, all you need is a Sennheiser Orpheus HE-90 to complete a trio of magnificence. I have read a little about these headphones but never heard such rarities. Is your Sony MDR-R10 the bass heavy or bass light model ? I'd probably prefer the latter given my preference for neutrality.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi Timm and welcome to headfi. You have some unique headphones, all you need is a Sennheiser Orpheus HE-90 to complete a trio of magnificence. I have read a little about these headphones but never heard such rarities. Is your Sony MDR-R10 the bass heavy or bass light model ? I'd probably prefer the latter given my preference for neutrality.
Hi Sefelt103, my Sony bears the number 0754. I'll have to check again if that's the bass light or heavy version. I got mine in 1991. Compared to the AKG K1000 (Number 04070) its bass is actually quite weak. This may sound strange as one would expect the K1000 with its completely open design to deliver even less bass. But quite surprisingly the 'head speakers' have a much fuller bass delivery. I prefer them over the Sony. I have never had the chance to listen to the Sennheiser Orpheus, but what I'm really after is the new Mysphere because I'm such a fan of the AKG's design which at the time was developed by the same two engineers who are the fathers of the Mysphere. I met Helmut Ryback, one of its developers in Vienna and he showed me the production and let me listen to the new headphones. I was really blown away. So that's what I'm saving up for now. What do you use to listen to your music?

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a Sennheiser HD580 (early version), Sennheiser Hd600/650 and Beyerdynamic's DT 880 (600Ω). So mid-range old school type headphones powered by a Centrance Hifi M8 and an Objective O2+ODAC. It sounds like your Sony is the bass light version, perhaps you might consider doing reviews of these heirlooms, I am sure many would be interested in reading about them.

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a Sennheiser HD580 (early version), Sennheiser Hd600/650 and Beyerdynamic's DT 880 (600Ω). So mid-range old school type headphones powered by a Centrance Hifi M8 and an Objective O2+ODAC. It sounds like your Sony is the bass light version, perhaps you might consider doing reviews of these heirlooms, I am sure many would be interested in reading about them.
Hope I can post photos soon. Oh, I forgot this: I also own an old and dilapidated Jecklin Float. However all the foam has gone and the drivers must be in a very bad condition. I know Jürg Jecklin in person, luckily he lives in the same city. He came and visited me in my shop last year and I told him about my patient. He promised he'd see to that, but haven't heard of him since. He's pretty old now and surely has other things to bother about. Nevertheless, the thing is here and it's a nice relic from the past...

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Those Jecklin Float headphones look like something from Sci-Fi, never heard of them before.

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Those Jecklin Float headphones look like something from Sci-Fi, never heard of them before.
Absolutely no bass. Huge dynamics, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back