New member w/headphone questions
Dec 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

soundstage77

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a while and finally joined the forum. I've been trying to decide between a few headsets with no luck. I'm looking to buy a pair of open (for work) as well as a pair of closed headphones. I recently picked up some Beyerdynamic DT770 250 pro and a Fiio E17. I've only been listening to them for a few days (broke them in using jlabaudio for 5 hours a day) and noticed that they lack mids. Are there other headphones that provide "better sound"?

I listen to a variety of music- from Frank Sinatra and Andrea Bocelli to classical, country and hip hop. My questions are below.

1. Which closed headphones offer better sound than the DT770 for around $200-300?
2. Should I go with the Sennheiser 600, 650, or 700? I've been going back and forth between the 600 and 650 but couldn't decide. I've read all the reviews and they seemed split between the two. Perhaps I should consider the 700?

Thank you in advance for any help!! :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 19
Yup--that's the big weakness of the 770. 

Check out the analysis of the cans you listed, plus the DT 880 (250 Ohm version is similar to the somewhat better 600 Ohm version described) in this excellent piece:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 19
None of the Sennheisers are closed, but the 600 and 650 are both known for having good mids. Don't know about the 700. All of these are out of your budget though, but the 600s are close. 

Mad Dogs or ZMF t50rp would be a good choice for closed if the E17 is enough amp for them. Maybe AKG K550 too. The AKG Q701 would be a good choice for mids, but it's open.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I don't love the mids on K70x; HD600 has better mids. I'm trying to be disinterested about the gear.

Amongst closed models, modded Fostex are very good for what you want. I dislike MrSpeaker's over-commercial approach, and ZMF has fairer prices (especially pre-Christmas).

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 19
  Just bought a pair of the 650. Now I'm looking for a good pair of closed cans.

Fostex aren't technically closed, but they're de facto closed because they're semi-closed with a lot of damping. I recommended them based on your taste in vocals and because of their strengths as all-rounders.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 19
A lot of people say they don't sound good until they're modded? Not sure what's going on.

I was referring to the modded ones. Modding tightens up everything and increases the level of detail. Two versions in your price range are MrSpeakers and ZMF. I trust ZMF more because he doesn't oversell the product and his prices are fairer. (http://www.zmfheadphones.com)

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 19
I was referring to the modded ones. Modding tightens up everything and increases the level of detail. Two versions in your price range are MrSpeakers and ZMF. I trust ZMF more because he doesn't oversell the product and his prices are fairer. (http://www.zmfheadphones.com)

Those look pretty sweet. I'll keep them at the top of my list. I'm not in a hurry to get a closed pair as I have some decent earphones I can use at work.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 19
at $200 or less for closed/portable, you can think about the akg k545, sony mdr-1r, and the logitech ue6000.

at $300 or less, there is the sennheiser momentum over-ear, & the new nad visio hp50... the new keef m500 is on-ear I believe.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 19
at $200 or less for closed/portable, you can think about the akg k545, sony mdr-1r, and the logitech ue6000.

at $300 or less, there is the sennheiser momentum over-ear, & the new nad visio hp50... the new keef m500 is on-ear I believe.

Thank you for the recommendations! The Sony looks pretty nice and they have great reviews too. I've seen it mentioned on here a few times . The Momentum have great reviews too.

Edit: I just realized that the Sony ones have bluetooth and a mic in its wire. I can't use that at work.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 19
Thank you for the recommendations! The Sony looks pretty nice and they have great reviews too. I've seen it mentioned on here a few times . The Momentum have great reviews too.

Edit: I just realized that the Sony ones have bluetooth and a mic in its wire. I can't use that at work.

there are many versions of the mdr-1r. you can get the normal version without bluetooth. http://store.sony.com/premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones-zid27-MDR1R/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds they have a bluetooth version & a noise-cancelling version as well.

btw: you can find the sony mdr-1r normal version $200 or less nowadays.
momentum on-ear go for $300 at razerdogaudio with a discount code.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 19
there are many versions of the mdr-1r. you can get the normal version without bluetooth. http://store.sony.com/premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones-zid27-MDR1R/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds they have a bluetooth version & a noise-cancelling version as well.

btw: you can find the sony mdr-1r normal version $200 or less nowadays.
momentum on-ear go for $300 at razerdogaudio with a discount code.

Which would you recommend- the Sony or the Sennheiser?
Should I just go with a cheaper pair like the ATH-M50's for listening at work?

I like the ZMF headphones that Claritas mentioned above too but they're a bit on the pricier side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back