New member thread and help with portable DAC/amp for dt 1990
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KCrimson616

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new member here saying hi. My first pair of decent headphones, some ivory senheiser hd 598s, recently got stolen, so I got a pair of beyerdynamic dt 1990 pros. I'm not super familiar with the world of DACs and headphone amps and am wondering what portable DAC/amp combo I can get under $200 that will be serviceable for these headphones working off of a galaxy s7 or a Windows computer with an old soundcard. If anyone has some recommendations I would appreciate it.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 7
FiiO X3 DAP (Digital Audio Player),
it can also be connected to a computer (PC or Mac or other) and used as a USB DAC/amp.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
+1 on the X3, especially when paired with the A5 amp. I use that combo with my Momentum 2's and it works wonders. It's also very convenient to be able to use the X3 as a standalone DAC, especially since it sounds better than my laptop's cheap DAC.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 7
How is the Sony PHA1A? Its on Amazon used for under 200. The x3 is interesting, but how does it stand up to standalone DAC/amps like the fiio e18 or the creative soundblaster e5? A standalone portable music player is probably in my future, but right now I need something versatile for my phone and computer that might pair well with a music player later.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 7
How is the Sony PHA1A? Its on Amazon used for under 200. The x3 is interesting, but how does it stand up to standalone DAC/amps like the fiio e18 or the creative soundblaster e5? A standalone portable music player is probably in my future, but right now I need something versatile for my phone and computer that might pair well with a music player later.

I like the PHA1A a lot, I've tried it for a week and it sounded great. I'd advise against the SoundBlaster, it's a gimmicky gaming unit and actual dac/amps from serious audio companies will be much better. That being said, things like the PHA1A will probably sound better than the X3 but keep in mind that stuff is more expensive. I like the X3 because it's very portable and it is super easy to strap an amp to. It actually has a strap kit that keeps everything super clean and tidy, something that a phone + dac/amp can't compete with

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Definitely grab the Sony PHA1A if it's under 200usd

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 7

If you use the FiiO X3 as the portable music player, it will save the battery charge on the Galaxy X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back