New member searching for a good pair of earphones.
Nov 28, 2005 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Blockman86

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I've been reading many threads for the last couple of days, looking for some definitive info as to which earphones are best suited for my needs. My price range is roughly 200$max (although I'd like to hover around the 150$ mark). I listen to music mainly from my 4G ipod. My taste is quite varied, but I mostly listen to postrock, progrock, some alternative (mostly pearl jam), radiohead, sufjan stevens and some classical. I'm looking for in-ears that isolate sound quite well as I am in crowded and noisy public areas for most parts of the day. I don't necessarily need to hear a lot of bass in my music and I'd rather hear vocals and details. My main question I guess would be if I should purchase a set of used ER-4P (or S, what's the main difference?), used E4c, or new ER-6i or new E3c. The used ER-4P and E4c are both being sold for 150$. Both in nearly new condition (at least I'm told) and feature all of the original packaging and tips. Basically, is the difference in quality worth buying used models over new models, and should I go for shures or etymotics. Comfort is also an issue, but I guess that's a given.

I'd appreciate any input as after reading a lot of older threads I've become even more confused as to which set to purchase.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

I can't comment on the Etys, but I own the E4 and I really enjoy it out of my 3G ipod AMPED. Without an amp, the synergy between the 3G ipod and the E4 is just lousy IMO. I believe I have seen comments to the same effect re the synergy with the 4G, but do a search because I could be (and often am) wrong).

That said, I love the E4 amped out of my ipod. Sure I wish it had a little more bass, but the detail and "agility" of the E4 are just great. Plus I find it isolates very well.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your comments. I followed your suggestion and searched it up, and it seems that there's the same problem you mention with the un-amped e4s with 4G ipod. I actually found a friend who owns a pair of these and will let me try them out tomorrow, so I'll go from that. I'll check the forum for some amp suggestions and probably get some down the line.

Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockman86
I actually found a friend who owns a pair of these and will let me try them out tomorrow, so I'll go from that.

Smart move, that's the only way to know for sure. given your sound preferences, I think there's a chance you'll like them, even unamped. I'd be interested in your impressions. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back