New member, question regarding desktop setup
Apr 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JamalSkyjocker

New Head-Fier
Hey all! New member here. Hoping the "no stupid questions" policy presides here.

I want to start by saying that I am not an audiophile. However, I love sound, and I would like to experience it in as high a quality as I can obtain.

Here's my basic question; I built a PC for gaming, video editing, and listening to/storing my music. This was about a year ago, and due to budgetary reasons I decided to utilize on-board audio as opposed to a sound card.

I have never had a good speaker setup, and now I want to remedy that. I wanted to ask here for recommendations as to how I can dive into maximizing my sound potential for gaming and music on my PC. My budget is around $300 USD. I have heard to use amps, receivers, so on so forth, but I have no idea where to start. Please also note that I do not have the room for a 5.1 system; I want something purely personal for up-close to bedroom enjoyment.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to Head Fi!

If you're looking to keep it clean and simple, it's easy to recommend Audioengine, either the smaller A2+ ($250) or the larger A5+ ($400).

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX would also be an terrific setup for thunderous gaming audio on the cheap ($140).

Very little hassle on these, and work great right out of the onboard sound card.  The A2+ also has a built-in DAC so you can bypass the onboard audio and use USB direct.

Happy listening!

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the welcome!

I have looked carefully at the Klipsch system, and almost came to the conclusion that I would purchase it before I noticed several threads here in which users were recommending similarly-priced receiver/bookshelf speaker systems, claiming that there would be a world of difference in sound. Any insight?

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 14
FiiO D03K (30 USD) + Topping TP21 (63 USD) + Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (127 USD). 220 USD in total and absolutely enough.

More expensive option:
Asus Xonar Essence STX (179 USD) + Topping TP21 (63 USD) + Micca MB42X (80 USD). 322 USD in total.

You can exchange DAC for another FiiO or Pioneer with Micca.

Prices from Amazon.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 14
A2+? Easily :). But for gaming you may want something with bigger woofers (6.5"). Look at Dayton B652-AIR (passive, so amp needed) or Microlab Solo 6C/7C (active, no amp needed) speakers.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 14
  Thanks for the welcome!

I have looked carefully at the Klipsch system, and almost came to the conclusion that I would purchase it before I noticed several threads here in which users were recommending similarly-priced receiver/bookshelf speaker systems, claiming that there would be a world of difference in sound. Any insight?

There are so many ways to approach a great sounding desktop setup for around $300.  Getting a really cheap receiver and a pair of speakers is a viable path.  My suggestion remains:

Based on my experience, there's no substitute for a good subwoofer for PC gaming - as long as you don't run the risk of disturbing your gf/wife/neighbor/whoever nearby.  That ProMedia set will give you a metric ton of gaming goodness, it really is an amazing setup for the price. 

For $250, you'll get a more articulate and better set of speakers through Audioengine, but you won't have the visceral impact that the 2.1 setup provides for gaming.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 14
So let's say I decided that my setup would be the Topping amp and the Dayton speakers. At that point are we nearing what is considered to be "Audiophile" output, or is my budget simply not in range for such an achievement?

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 14

There are so many ways to approach a great sounding desktop setup for around $300.  Getting a really cheap receiver and a pair of speakers is a viable path.  My suggestion remains:

Based on my experience, there's no substitute for a good subwoofer for PC gaming - as long as you don't run the risk of disturbing your gf/wife/neighbor/whoever nearby.  That ProMedia set will give you a metric ton of gaming goodness, it really is an amazing setup for the price. 

For $250, you'll get a more articulate and better set of speakers through Audioengine, but you won't have the visceral impact that the 2.1 setup provides for gaming.

Thanks! Duly noted

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 14
  So let's say I decided that my setup would be the Topping amp and the Dayton speakers. At that point are we nearing what is considered to be "Audiophile" output, or is my budget simply not in range for such an achievement?

Dayton speakers are nowhere near "audiophile". They're just decent speakers for their price. For a 300 USD setup (meaning active speakers or passive speakers + amp) you'll rather not get anything better than SP-BS22-LR, however.

As adtrance mentioned, for gaming you'd probably want to get a 2.1 system or a 2.0 with possibility of adding a subwoofer, but for sitting at the desk I find 2.1 setups not good sounding, especially for music. Usually the cutoff for such small systems is set way too high.

Think about the source. Your onboard sound is far from being audiophile, I am sure.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 14

No. That's the minimal, "it would not sound terrible" kind of setup.

With a $300 budget, put all of your money towards speaker+amp or powered speakers. That will give you the best sound for your buck. Then add a sub later on when you can afford it (if you feel you need it), and finally a sound card. But for now, focus on the speakers.

Best speakers for your budget to use with a Topping amp are the EMP Tek R5Bi (formerly known as E5Bi if you want to look for reviews) and the Wave Crest Audio HLV-1. These are Internet direct dealers who give you better deals than you can typically get from speaker brands popular in brick and mortar stores.

Now, instead of the Topping amp, a better choice would be a used audio/video or stereo receiver off your local CL if you can find one with the budget you have left. I recommend Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, or Harman Kardon (but not Sony).

If you want powered speakers, look no further than the JBL LSR305s. You'll find lots of reviews comparing them to the best powered speakers in the $500 range. Better than the Audioengines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back