New member - New Setup
Feb 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

THA CAZ

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I first would like to say its an honor to be apart of such a great community, and I hope to be a good addition to an already stellar forum base. I have read on the forums for the past few days, and searched what I should be getting. I am looking to buy a new headset, and anything else I need to buy to make my experience better when gaming. Here is my situation. I am looking to upgrade from my current setup (look in sig), to a much more professional one. I am a up and coming competitive gamer. I play Halo 3 on the MLG Pro-Circuit.

My price range is <$200, but preferably much less. I was thinking the Astro Gaming Mixamp+Audio Technica AD700+Boom Mic Mod would be the best way to go, but I would like to know your guy's thoughts. My primary source with my setup is to play Halo 3, but on occasion (10% of the time) I like to listen to Music (mostly Metal). If there are any alternatives in Headsets and or Amps please let me know. The Amp must be able to change the EQ level of the Outgoing sound like the Mixamp does though.

Any more info needed?

Thanks in advance.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 6
I think your decision to go AT AD700 is good choice. But remember it is open can, which won't block outside noise nor block leaking sound from the headphones as well.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

x2 on the AD700+boom mic. Not sure how they fare with metal though, havent heard any AT's
Dont be surprised if a decent pair of cans gets you listening to music a lot more
tongue.gif

Same thing happend to me lol.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I am aware that they are Open and the affects of this. I am more worried about the amp issue. If I plan to use these can's alot, should I buy a amp? Also I am going to an MLG Event and I need a amp that doesn't use power like the mixamp, but for cheaper. Any suggestions, I know this question is in the wrong thread.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 6
the AD700 benefits somewhat from an amp, but it certainly doesn't need one.

If the outside noise during lan parties isn't a big deal for you, you won't find a better option in your price range than the AD700. Especially if you don't value heavy bass in your explosions (and the few pro gamers I know don't, since it can cover up stuff they need to hear).

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I wouldn't mind going with a Closed Headset (for lan purposes), but from what I have been told about using closed headsets (like Senn PC350's) is that they are very hollow sounding and don't get the high's and low's that you want with say the AD700's.

Could you guys recommend a few Closed Headsets that are good for games, but don't sound hollow?

Don't worry about the Amp deal, I am going with a Amp I found at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back