New member, New Headphones.
Jul 4, 2004 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

GladiatoR

New Head-Fier
Greetings all. First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone as I am a new member of these forums.

Now, currently I have an Audigy 1 sound card with Logitech Z640 Speakers. I'm in need for a new pair of headphones. They will be used mainly for gaming and music. I'm from Australia but will most likely be buying from the states as I can get better quallity Headphones for a much cheaper price. My price range is around $150.00 AUD. So far I have looked at the Sennheiser HD series but since their are so many, I have left it for you guys to recommend me some as you guys would know a lot more than I do.

I don't really have the money at the moment to buy an headphone amp but maybe down the track I might.

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could help me.

Regards Joe.

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 28
The first thing we'll need to know (besides budget) to help you out is whether or not you want open or closed cans. That is, do you care if the headphones block out outside sounds and prevent other people from hearing what you're listening to? If so, you want closed cans. If not, you can usually get superior sound quality per dollar with open cans, which don't isolate much at all.

Also, music preferences would be useful to know.

Finally, welome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. (Standard greeting.)

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 28
I think that equals about $105 US? If so I'd recommend the Alessandro MS1 or AKG 240S. If you need closed, maybe AT A500.

That's a general recommendation. What type of music do you usually listen to?

... and welcome to Head-fi. EDIT: Ahhh.... SunByrne beat me to it!

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 28
Well, for $110 usd, ATH A500 is right up your alley. I don't see anything wrong with that headphone. I haven't heard A500 myself, but if they are anything like ATH A900, they should be good for what you're looking for. Check audiocubes.com for latest prices.

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 28
Once again, blessingx and I online at the same time... Fools think alike? Or is that great minds running the same channel? Can we tell?
eggosmile.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 28
I thought it had something to do with social life on a Saturday night.
wink.gif

GladiatoR, the A500 (never heard it, like md01 only the A900) may be better for gaming. I'm a big fan of the more neutral 240S and fun MS1 too though.

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 28
Thanks for such quick replies guys. I play games such as Counter-strike, Dessert Combat, Far Cry etc etc. I listen to a lot of Metallica, Bass Guitar tabs as I play Bass Guitar myself and I also listen to music which is on TV, whats the word, populor music? I can not really say what type of music I listen to as it ranges.

I might be able to extend my budget by around $20.00 if the next headphones up are a big improvement or are a noticable sound difference, you know what I mean
wink.gif

How come you guys have not recommended me any HD headphones, are they mainly used for Hifi systems?

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 28
Forgot to mention, I want the headphones to cover my ears and I would like them to be comfortable for long periods of time as they will be used for Lanning also. I just don't want them to block out all the noises, just noises for example, when your mother is calling you out for tea. Do you guys understand what I mean?

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GladiatoR
Forgot to mention, I want the headphones to cover my ears and I would like them to be comfortable for long periods of time as they will be used for Lanning also. I just don't want them to block out all the noises, just noises for example, when your mother is calling you out for tea. Do you guys understand what I mean?

Closed cans will be most appropriate, imo. However, given you choice of music ms1s would be a good choice as pointed out by blessingx (don't know about gaming, other cans will have better soundstage imaging).

Jul 4, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 28
I second (third) the recommendation of A500s if closed cans are required. If you want them for a lan party, this will block out the noises of the people around you, which is probably a good thing.

If you go for open they'll probably sound a bit better, but won't block any noise out. Sennheiser 555s can be had for US$100-$110 from places like here, not including postage. froogle.com will find more prices for you.

You won't need a headphone amp with either of them.

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 28
Do the A500's totally block out noise? Also, what is the Bass like in the A500's? What about the Sennheiser 555's, do they totally block out noise, or can you still hear stuff. What is the bass like in the 555's? Are they good for gaming?

Sorry about all the questions.

Regards Joe.

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 28
although i havent got first hand experience with A500, but since its for computer use and LAN games, A500 is probably the most suitable for your situation.

get it now.

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 28
I just checked out the Sennheiser 555's and 595's. I have to admit, I absolutely love the looks of the 555's and the 595's but I am un sure on how good the bass and sound is on them. How much do the 595's sell for? Are they out of my price range?

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 28
The 555s and 595 will sound great, probably better than the A500. If you want more bass, you can always use a graphic equaliser.

dj_mocok, I already provided a link to a store that sells the 555s within GladiatoRs price range.

Search is working, you should search for all the cans you're interested in and read up on them - you'll learn more that way than by asking a few questions here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back