new member - needs some 'phones
Oct 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, I've been browsing around this website for a while, looking for some good headphones in the 50-80 range. I'm going to get out to a Cambridge Soundworks to listen to the SR 60s, HD 497s and PortaPros, (they don't have the PX 100s, which I also want to try out) but I was wondering if any of you know which one of those has a better soundstage. I'm going to use them for pc gaming also, not just music listening, and I've heard that the Grados aren't as good for gaming. I'm going to be using these phones with my Zen Micro, computer, and electric violin, so portability is good.

Right now I'm using the Creative HN-505s for gaming, and for my ZM I have some unknown Yamaha buds, since the creative buds broke. (driver got ripped out)
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 7
I like the 497 a lot more, but the best thing is to go to the store and decide for yourself. Soundstage, comfort, all of those things should be apparent to you from a trial.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 7
out of the sr60, the 497 and the portapro... i'd have to say the 497 has the best soundstage (though still not fantastic). the PP and sr60 hardly have soundstage at all... although they're a lot of fun, and i generally prefer them to the 497 (actually the pp and 497 are probably tied in my book).

the px100 doesn't have much soundstage to speak of, but it would be my 2nd favorite of the listed cans, after the grados.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 7
If your also going to use them for gaming go with the 497's I like them a lot. If you are going portable go with the porta pro's. Get both if you can they are excellent cans, and the porta pro has very cool bass. You will llike the sound of all of them, they are all great entry level headphones. Good choices!

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Alright, thanks.

Hopefully I'll get out to try these headphones out this afternoon... Dunno though.

Don't those Koss 75 clip ons use the same driver as the PortaPro? I heard that somewhere, if It's true then I'd probably get the clips, cheaper and a bit more portable. Then I'd be able to buy the 497s too.

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 7
yup, KSC-75 is basically the same driver as the Portapro (and $14 from Amazon). As you can see from my sig, I endorse the KSC-75 and HD-497 pairing quite heartily.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both are great entry-level cans. Keep the 497 at home for serious listening, gaming, and movies (the long cord helps when you want to plug in and relax on the couch 10 feet away), and use the KSC-75 on the go.

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 7
KSC75 for portable and K240s at home would be my suggestion(s). The KSC75 is cheap enough that you can practically afford it + an additional full sized can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back